PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut Birth

Kurust
05-09-2008, 3:30 PM
Can anybody tell me how to locate a birth in Connecticut and order a certificate.
It is for a Mary R Kitching born September 1897 this info came from the 1900 US census when she was living in Livingston, New Jersey. The parents were Kitching and O,Connor.

Thanks

David

Leander
21-09-2008, 12:55 PM
Hi David,

This is not so easy. You would need to know Mary's birth city/town. Unless there's a coordinated state-wide database somewhere (such as Massachusetts), one needs to obtain a vital record from the city/town where the event took place.

Vital records are always kept by the city/town. Most states did not start centralizing vital records info until the late 1800s, but they obtain their info from the towns, so the individual towns always have the primary information.

Anyway, I've always found that obtaining information from individual towns is faster and easier than getting the data from the state, but sometimes this is not always possible, as in your case.

I found this and followed the links: http://www.ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=3132&q=388130&dphNav=|46940|

It looks like you can get information on most, but not all, of Connecticut's vital records through an LDS family research center. They have centers in many places in the world, so there might be one near you. Another option would be to have an LDS researcher look up the information for you to see if the record is in the collection. Most LDS researchers are happy to do so for a modest fee. I've done this and they are really very reasonable and responsive. I've also used genealogy researchers on US' Ebay (try to find one in Utah) with great success.

There are quite a few LDS research centers in the UK. Go to www.familysearch.org, look under "Library", then "Family History Centers". This will bring you to a search page by country where you can get a list of family history centers in your country.

If your local center does not have a particular collection, they can order it and have it available for you.

Hope this helps.

Kurust
22-09-2008, 7:23 PM
Thanks very much for your reply to my question.
I think I may be lucky as Mary was born late in the year that they started centralising records. The only drawback is it says it may take up to 6 months to recieve the certificate. So I will look into the idea of using a researcher.
Thanks again

David

dianenbabe
02-08-2009, 5:11 PM
I have relatives in Connecticut, I sent your ?? to them, Maybe they can help out

Kurust
06-08-2009, 6:31 PM
Thank you very much. It has been realy frustrating trying to find anything.

David