PDA

View Full Version : Parish Registers Sutton, Kent

busyglen
02-09-2008, 7:54 PM
Does anyone have access to the PRs of Sutton, Kent please? That is Sutton between Deal & Dover.

I have done quite a bit of searching around to see if I can find anything that is on-line, but so far no luck. Every Sutton almost but not the one I want. I'm just crossing my fingers that someone out there has a transcript.

I am looking for William LADD, born 1799 in Sutton, Kent, in hopes that I can find his parents names. He married in Worth nr. Deal, and his death in 1873 was registered in Eastry, Kent.

I found a Christening of a William Ladd on the IGI at St. Mary the Virgin in Dover in 1801, which `could' be him, but I am not too sure, and need to eliminate anything for Sutton first.

Many thanks.

Glenys

John Nicholas
03-09-2008, 8:36 AM
Hello Glenys,

Does your local library have any Kent FHS publications? They apparently do Sutton transcriptions on microfiche (ref 1941), only 1538-1812 but that might fit your bill. It's £3.90 for non-members (and you could always read it at the library).

Regards
John

busyglen
03-09-2008, 9:37 AM
Hello John,

I'm not sure about that, I will give them a ring shortly to find out. If so, I can pop down tomorrow. It is only a small library, but does have quite a bit, so I will keep my fingers crossed. Having said that, I think their microfiche reader is up the creek at the moment.

Thanks again for the suggestion, it might just give me what I am looking for. :)

Glenys

busyglen
03-09-2008, 9:49 AM
Hello John,

I'm not sure about that, I will give them a ring shortly to find out. If so, I can pop down tomorrow. It is only a small library, but does have quite a bit, so I will keep my fingers crossed. Having said that, I think their microfiche reader is up the creek at the moment.

Thanks again for the suggestion, it might just give me what I am looking for. :)

Glenys

Here I am again John, I have checked with the my local library, and they don't hold any of the fiche for the KFHS apart from the Island where I live, but they have confirmed that they do have a `working' fiche reader, so I think I will send off for the fiche.

Thanks again for your help.....don't know why I didn't think of that....old age definately galloping on! ;)

Glenys

busyglen
03-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Further update:

John, in the process of checking the Kent FHS (I also checked Parish Chest for possible CDs that might help) I discovered that I think the one you are referring to is Sutton at Hone, which is near Dartford, so not the correct Sutton. There appear to be loads of Suttons!

This sent me on a further trek around the Kent PRs and I found mention of Sutton by Dover, which appears to be the modern day address, and also Sutton by Deal. I found the Kent Archeology site for churches, and discovered that Sutton was a small village, and the church appears to have been defunct for a long time. So, I don't think I am going to find anything there. It's possible that I should be looking at Deal after all, which is where he lived for many years as well as Sholden.

Another clue I obtained from the IGI is that there is only one possible baptism in Dover, for a William Ladd around 1799/81 so perhaps I should go back to this. All in all, I think I may be better getting a CD of a larger portion of parishes in that area, and whittling them down. I see PC has several by KFHS.

At least your post has made me think in more depth, and for that I thank you. :)

Glenys

John Nicholas
03-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Glenys,

The fiche I mentioned was ref 1941, which is listed as Sutton by Dover 1538-1812. Is that not the right one? On the KFHS site, Sales, Microfiche publs, Microfiche search, Sutton, and it's the 6 entry on the page. I guess you could also order through Parish Chest.

John

busyglen
03-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Oh! I searched the KFHS, under Sutton, but only came up with Sutton at Hone. :confused: Sorry, obviously went in by another route...PRs I think, so I'll look again. Thanks as that does sound to be the one.

addition:

OK have found it now, I was in the right place, but I just did Sutton, which for some reason didn't bring up the Sutton by Dover. Thanks.

Glenys

Peter Goodey
03-09-2008, 11:37 AM
The original registers, together with ATs and BTs, of SS Peter & Paul, Sutton by Dover are at Canterbury. Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone don't have a copy of the film but do have a copy of a transcript.

The Mormons have them on film.

busyglen
03-09-2008, 12:50 PM
The original registers, together with ATs and BTs, of SS Peter & Paul, Sutton by Dover are at Canterbury. Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone don't have a copy of the film but do have a copy of a transcript.

The Mormons have them on film.

Thank you for that information Peter. :)

Glenys