PDA

View Full Version : Marines in the Falklands War

tink1972
02-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Hello everyone, this is my first time using B-G so please bear with me.
I am trying to trace my biological father who was a royal marine. His name is E. Watson and he was based at Plymouth in 1968-1972 (he may have been there longer), he was originally I think from Coventry. I beleive he was injured during the Falklands War but I do not seem to be able to find any records anywhere, Help! I have managed to find his marriage certificate to my mother (she has a very unusual name) and have ordered a copy with the vain hope this may give me some more details on him. My mother has now passed away and no-one seems to know if my father is even still alive. Any help or advice as to where I go from here would be much appreciated. x

Sue Mackay
02-09-2008, 11:51 AM
As we do not post details of living people on this Forum, if anyone has information please send it via Private Message.

Geoffers
02-09-2008, 3:19 PM
I have managed to find his marriage certificate to my mother (she has a very unusual name) and have ordered a copy with the vain hope this may give me some more details on him.

Going this route, the marriage certificate will give an age, try to trace the birth certificate of the chap (it will give both parents' names and mum's maiden name). Then look for the parents' marriage certificate which will give their ages.

With ages and names of parents, you may be able to trace if they have died and if they left a will in which they mention their son (your dad) and where he was living, his occupation. it may also mention other relatives.

The GRO index to BMDs is widely available and the probate calendar can be found in most county record offices. The calendar is easy to use and usually gives sufficient information to identify individuals. Copies of wills can then be purchased from the Probate Registry.