PDA

View Full Version : Any help with MACGREGOR family Perthshire

MacGregor
01-09-2008, 1:47 PM
Hello,

I am looking for help in tracing the lairs of my gt. grandfather Gregor MacGregor who died in 1879, and two of his daughters, Catherine MacKinnon MacGregor died 1883 aged 18 and Margaret MacGregor died 1887 aged 24. I have searched the County records for Perthshire, and the local church records. Gregor and his wife Margaret lived in Rattray, Blairgowrie, and had all their children there. His wife Margaret and two of his other children together with a son-in-law are all buried in Blairgowrie Cemetery.

Gregor MacGregor was a tennant manager of the what was then the Royal Hotel Rattray for 14 years, and was also a sheriff's officer at the local courts. There are apparently no records for sheriff's officers and nothing in the local newspapers about his death apart from three lines from his wife intimating his death.

I have found his mother, Isabella MacGregor's lair in Edinburgh. Her maiden name was MacTavish, but I have been unable to trace her marriage to John MacGregor. I know that Gregor's birth was not registered - born 1824 in Kenmore/Killin.

I really have had problems with sorting out MacGregors in Perthshire, so any help as to which direction I can go now,with these queries, would be really appreciated.

Many thanks