PDA

View Full Version : Boxer Rebellion

CaroleLee11
01-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Does anyone know how to look up any names of military members who supposedly served in China during the Boxer Rebellion? A great uncle of mine - Edward Robinson (born Grantham 1875) was in the military either in China or the Boer War or both before going to Australia. Then I believe he was in France during WW1. I don't have any records about any of this and am not sure how to go about looking. He died and was buried in Bunbury, Western Australia but seemed to have quite an eventful life.
Carole

daggers
01-09-2008, 4:07 PM
Australian Archives have an excellent section, online, for records of soldiers who served in WW1. If you log on as a visitor, you can see options for different classes of records, one of which is WW1 service records. If you put in Robinson as the surname, and 'B2455' as the class of documents, then press search, you will find a lot of Robinsons' pages will appear. I have not found a way of refining the search, but if you have time you can plough through until you see one with the right initial, then choose to see the file. You can then see attestation papers and other records of service. I do not know about records of the Boxer Rebellion, but it may show up if your man re-enlisted, as 'previous service', on the first page.
Long winded, but possible!
daggers

CaroleLee11
25-09-2008, 3:12 AM
Thanks Daggers,
My great Uncle wasn't a member of the Australian forces but in the English army at the time of all this and I have tried to search this. I have got his army no. from WW1 but not before. ?Are there any online sites available?
Carole|banghead|

Jillychris
25-09-2008, 8:05 AM
Ancestry has online pension, service records and medal rolls. I have had a quick look but cannot find anything for Edward Robinson born Lincolnshire.

How did you get his service number do you know which Regiment?

Regards
Jill

CaroleLee11
26-09-2008, 12:23 AM
I dont remember how long ago I found his number, and I don't really know if it is his because it only said E. Robinson 1914 - 1920 Royal Field Artillary, Regiment no 42114. Catalogue ref no WO 372/24. I don't know how to find out any more.

Thanks
Carole

Jillychris
26-09-2008, 7:29 AM
The catalogue reference seems like a National Archives number but I can't find him in it google National Archives UK and you will see the site.

Jill

CaroleLee11
28-09-2008, 5:13 AM
One brick wall down more to go.

Thought I would on the off chance look in the Australian Archives and DID find my Edward Robinson had joined the AIF at the end of 1916 and was discharged sick at the end of 1918, he did have some service in France so that was all correct. He was single and had given his sister (my grandmother) as next of kin. The next wall is - he said on his application that he had been in the RMLI for 13 years and his time had expired. I don't know what that means.
I haven't found what year he came to Australia as there were lots of Robinsons and they don't very often say their full name.
Thanks for your help
:)
Carole

Procat
28-09-2008, 5:18 AM
Hi Carole,

RMLI may have been Royal Marine Light Infantry. The reference to 'time expired' means that the period he had enlisted for had expired.

neil1821
21-10-2008, 9:08 PM
Did Edward have a middle name at all?
If the answer is no, then I can see only one E.Robinson in the RMLI listed on the China 1900 medal roll.

Ply7989 Pte E.Robinson RMLI, HMS Alacrity

Hope that helps if you want to follow the China line of enquiry.

Geoffers
21-10-2008, 10:17 PM
my Edward Robinson had joined the AIF at the end of 1916 and was discharged sick at the end of 1918.....The next wall is - he said on his application that he had been in the RMLI for 13 years and his time had expired. I don't know what that means.

Royal Marine records are held at The National Archives at Kew. Have a look at this research guide (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=56)

In recording that he was in the RMLI for 13 years, does the information you have found note down any other detail - in particular his Division?

CaroleLee11
22-10-2008, 3:08 AM
Thanks everyone for your help. He could be the E. Robinson on the HMS Alacrity. I will just have to wait until I can find someone to go into the National Archives and check in more detail for me, or I can get enough money together to go to England and search for myself! As he never got married there is no other family to really find out. I think I will rest his case for a little while as I have lots more lines to follow.

Carole|wave|