PDA

View Full Version : TRAFFORD Family look up

Maisie7
30-08-2008, 4:33 PM
I have recently discovered this family emigrated from Liverpool to America in October 1926

Thomas TRAFFORD - born about 1878 was listed as a Steward. I was told he worked for the White Star line. He took with him his wife Lily (born 1877) and their daughter Laura (born 1908). Laura is listed as a hairdresser

As far as I know they settled in new Jersey.

Can anyone help with the 1930 census or deaths, marriage for Laura

Thank you

Wirral
30-08-2008, 9:12 PM
In the 1930 census, the 3 of them were living at 97 Orchard St, Bloomfield, Essex, New Jersey.

When they first went to the US in 1926 on the SS Celtic they were going to the residence of Thomas & Lilly's niece - Mrs SMITH of 375 Berkely Ave, Bloomfield, NJ. Their nearest UK relative was Thomas's father - Mr TRAFFORD of 330 Druikhouse Lane, Boston, Lancashire.

Laura & Lilly also gave 97 Orchard St as their home address when they visited England in 1929. They left 27 July & returned 10 Sep on the SS Majestic. Their nearest UK relative at that time was Lilly's brother, Mr Robert JONES of 74 Shakespeare St, Southport.

In 1931, Laura visited England on her own - 25 July to 14 Sep (returning on the SS Laconia). Her nearest UK relative was her aunt, Mrs Annie JONES of 74 Shakespeare St, Southport, & her home address was 9 Rowe St, Bloomfield, NJ.

Wirral
30-08-2008, 9:32 PM
I wonder if Thomas managed to get reduced fares for them? Lillyvisited England 3 times on her own.

She left the US in June 1935, returning 14 Jan 1936 on the SS Laconia. Her home address was 118 Linden Ave, Bloomfield. Her nearest UK relative was her brother Mr JONES.

She arrived in New York from Liverpool on the SS Britannic on 16 Oct 1948, age 71, single (widowed perhaps?). Home address c/o Mrs BAKER.Ave.13.Helmett. NJ.

She arrived in New York from Liverpool on the SS Brittannic on 11 July 1953. Home address Ave.C.Helmetta NJ.

Lilly TRAFFORD, SSN 147-26-1359, born 14 June 1877, died June 1964, NJ.

Jan1954
30-08-2008, 9:45 PM
I wonder if Thomas managed to get reduced fares for them? He may well have done, if he worked for the White Star Line. Apart from the Laconia, they were all White Star Line Ships (http://www.shawsavillships.co.uk/white.htm).

Cunard took over the shipping line in 1936 and the Laconia was a Cunard ship.

Maisie7
30-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Wow! That was fast. So much wonderful information for me to take in.

Lily Trafford (nee Jones) was a Great Aunt of my husbands. To his knowledge they never met. She emigrated a long time before his birth. The brother that is mentioned, Richard of Shakespeare Street, was a watch maker and I have got quite a lot of information about him.

Lily's eldest brother, William, also emigrated to America and as far as we are aware lived in new Jersey. this is where I would have thought the Traffords went but maybe not. All i know of William is he sailed on the Etruria in March 1891. He married someone called Frances in America.

Lily's youngest brother was Edgar - my husband's Grand father. His eldest son also went off to America and lived in new Jersey. Another Richard who sailed on the Albertic 30 March 1928. He left his fiance back here but she did join him a year & half later (Kate Booth) and they married in America and had 3 sons - Richard, Raymond & Everett. I have no births or marriages for them at all.

If anyone can help or advise me how to search further I would be grateful