PDA

View Full Version : 1851 census - Deansgate, Manchester

Barbara Wilkinson
16-01-2005, 3:41 PM
I am returning to Family History in the Manchester area after a break of several years - because my other lines are in Cornwall, and have been much easier to find!

Last time I looked for the 1851 census, I seem to recall that the Deansgate area was not available because of flood damage or missing records. Is this still the case, has anyone looked for census returns for this area recently?

Peter Goodey
16-01-2005, 5:46 PM
The Manchester & Lancashire Family History Society publish a census index for the 1851 including a 46 page volume entitled "Deansgate" so there must be something there!

Barbara Wilkinson
16-01-2005, 8:51 PM
Thank you Peter - my rough notes from 1991 said someone was hoping to transcribe what remained of the originals - so they must have done so!

uksearch
18-01-2005, 12:19 PM
If you post the full details of what you are looking for,I will take a look for you.Although M&LFHS have done a good job with some parts of the "lost " Census their coverage is by no means comprehensive,so I would not hold your breath.

UK

Barbara Wilkinson
23-01-2005, 8:42 PM
Thanks for the offer!

I have no exact addresses - but my 2xgreat grandparents were living in this area at the time of the 1861 and 1871 census, so I imagine they may have been in this area in 1851!

They are WILLIAM KERSHAW, son of THOMAS KERSHAW, and his wife MARY ANN, formerly MARY ANN GRAHAM, son of GEORGE GRAHAM. They married in Manchester Cathedral 10 April 1853.

William Kershaw was born 1834, Mary Ann Graham in 1835 - from the ages they gave on the marriage certificate. I have tried to trace their baptisms, but with no luck so far, and thought the census may point me in the right direction, or give me some other family members.

Thanks

uksearch
24-01-2005, 3:11 PM
What about the addresses on the Marriage Certificate??? Ok I've checked...Artilery St and Bootle St were most certainly filmed (not sure about the quality of the images).From the index there seems to be a KERSHAW on Artilery St,but no GRAHAMs on Bootle St,but there are 16 references to the name in the Deansgate Census.I will check the returns tomorrow .

UK

Barbara Wilkinson
24-01-2005, 6:27 PM
Thank you for that - cannot imagine why I did not give the addresses from the marriage certificate!!!

William Kershaw was living in Artillary St, Mary Ann Graham at 50 Bootle Street.

I appreciate your taking the time and trouble ...!!

uksearch
25-01-2005, 1:31 PM
I've got good news and bad news.The good news is that I found your KERSHAWs...the bad news is that I didn't find yours GRAHAMs.

HO 107 2227 folio 265
1 Swan Ct,Artilery St, Deansgate.
Thomas KERSHAW..H..M..47..Warehouseman..Manchester.
Elizabeth..W..47..Manchester.
William..S..U..19..Warehouseman..Manchester.
Charles ISHERWOOD..Step son..U..28(?)..Fustian Cutter..Manchester.
Elizabeth ISHERWOOD..Step dau..U..13(?)..Maker up..Manchester.

Of the 16 GRAHAM refs in the 1851 name index for Deansgate,I checked 15 of them.I was also unable to check out Bootle St.On the film that MCL has folios 441 to 730 are missing and of course Bootle St had to be on folio 611.The other GRAHAM ref was on folio 434.as a matter of interest the 1851 TD has them living at 25 Bootle St and number 50.Perhaps someone else can look at the film from another source?

UK

uksearch
25-01-2005, 1:37 PM
Taken from the PRs(Baptisms) of the Parish Church of Manchester (later Man Cath).

Mar 15 1835
Mary Ann dau of George & Mary GRAHAM.Manchester.Shoemaker

Sept 11 1832
William son of Thomas & Sarah KERSHAW.Bury St,Salford.Tin Plate Maker.

UK

Barbara Wilkinson
25-01-2005, 6:10 PM
Many thanks!

Mary Ann daughter of George and Mary Graham is almost certainly correct - her father is shown as a shoe maker on her marriage certificate.

The census details for Thomas Kershaw suggest he might have married again - a quick look on FreeBMD and there seems to be a likely marriage between Thomas and Elizabeth Isherwood - so another avenue to try!

Thanks again

uksearch
25-01-2005, 7:25 PM
Yes I've found that one...Man Cath also, 23 Dec 1842.I'll look at that in the morning.There are also three possibles for his first marriage,two at Man Cath and one at St Mary's.

UK

uksearch
27-01-2005, 1:03 PM
Thomas KERSHAW,Full Age,Widower,Warehouseman,Bk Queen St.no details of father 7 Elizabeth ISHERWOOD,Widow,Bk Quenn St.father, Charles ELLOR married...after Banns...Witnessed by ????? MADDOCKS & ?????? MADDOCKS.

UK

Barbara Wilkinson
27-01-2005, 6:08 PM
Thanks for that - another piece of the jigsaw!

uksearch
27-01-2005, 7:32 PM
I found the following which may be Thomas's first marriage.
Thomas KERSHAW, Bachelor of this Parish,Warehouseman & Eliza THOMPSOM of this Parish,Spinster were married...by Banns...this 25th Dec.Witnessed by ?. THOMPSON & Thomas CLARKE,clerk.

UK

Barbara Wilkinson
28-01-2005, 6:38 PM
Thanks!
Following up the possibility of Thomas' first wife being Sarah - baptism of William son of Thomas and Sarah in 1832 - have sent for a death certificate for a Sarah Kershaw who died December quarter 1838!

Barbara Wilkinson
05-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Sarah has proved to be a "dud" - another certificate to consign to the "Ancestors I used to have" folder!!

Am now considering Thomas and Eliz Thompson as a possibility, or Thomas and Margaret Jackson - IGI shows marriage Manchester Cathedral 1 July 1822, as there is also a possible baptism for William - son of Thomas and Margaret Cathedral 16 June 1833.

Would like to follow up on the deaths of these possible first wives - without spending a fortune on unnecessary death certificates! Any ideas about burial records for this area - they cannot all have been buried in the Cathedral grounds!

uksearch
06-02-2005, 3:19 PM
Sarah has proved to be a "dud" - another certificate to consign to the "Ancestors I used to have" folder!!

Am now considering Thomas and Eliz Thompson as a possibility, or Thomas and Margaret Jackson - IGI shows marriage Manchester Cathedral 1 July 1822, as there is also a possible baptism for William - son of Thomas and Margaret Cathedral 16 June 1833.

Would like to follow up on the deaths of these possible first wives - without spending a fortune on unnecessary death certificates! Any ideas about burial records for this area - they cannot all have been buried in the Cathedral grounds!

Here are the details from the PRs

Thomas KERSHAW bachelor of this Parish & Town of Manchester,Callenderman & Mary JACKSON of tis Parish & Town of Manchester,spinster were married...by Banns..this 1st July.witnesses Rob HILTON (CO) & J.LEE

June 16 1833
William son Thomas & Mary KERSHAW,Manchester,Maker Up.

UK

Barbara Wilkinson
06-02-2005, 5:37 PM
Thanks very much!

Barbara Wilkinson
02-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Here are the details from the PRs

Thomas KERSHAW bachelor of this Parish & Town of Manchester,Callenderman & Mary JACKSON of tis Parish & Town of Manchester,spinster were married...by Banns..this 1st July.witnesses Rob HILTON (CO) & J.LEE

June 16 1833
William son Thomas & Mary KERSHAW,Manchester,Maker Up.UK
Hi UK

Very cheeky I know, but any chance of revisiting these PRs to make sure it is Mary and not Margaret - possibly Marg, which I have seen on PRs before.

There are a number of other baptisms on the IGI for Thomas and Margaret:
Thomas 1 May 1825
Alice 12 November 1826
Edward 23 November 1828
Esther 12 December 1830 and William as above 12 June 1833

These names fit with naming patterns of later generations, and lead me to believe this may well be the right family.

Many thanks
Barbara

uksearch
02-04-2005, 1:23 PM
You are correct,it is clearly Margaret.I've checked my notes and I've written Margaret..so where Mary came from?????
I'll check the baptisms next week.

UK

Barbara Wilkinson
02-04-2005, 6:16 PM
And again - many thanks ..... at this rate you will know as much about my Lancashire lot as I do .... I really appreciate it:D

uksearch
07-04-2005, 12:30 PM
All the Baptism are as per the IGI.The Abode is listed as Manchester in every case but the Occupation differs somewhat....

May 1st 1825
Thomas son of etc...M/C.Warehouseman

Nov 12th 1826
Alice dau of etc...M/C.Maker Up

Nov 28th 1828
Edward (1 y o *) son of etc..M/C.Labourer

Dec 12th 1830
Esther dau of etc...M/C.Callenderer

June 16th 1833
William son of etc...M/C.Maker Up.

* One year old is my guess at the squiggles.

UK

Barbara Wilkinson
07-04-2005, 2:26 PM
As always UK - my grateful thanks ....:)

I appreciate you taking the time and trouble ....!