PDA

View Full Version : Amazing find of WW1 personnel records

Patrisia
16-01-2005, 2:00 PM
This was posted across to a Brit Gen List and I thought it might be of use here.
I think this is also relevant to another thread hospitals for injured ww1 soldiers on the Gen Chat board recently.

[size=2]Queen Mary's Hospital Sidcup, UK: The Gillies Archives of plastic surgery.
Purely by accident, I have discovered an amazing archive of WW1 personnel material, which hitherto I have never seen listed as a source for research.For years I have been trying to locate the admission and discharge records of a particular Cottage Hospital in the 1930's. Two weeks ago, I discovered that they were located at The Gillies Archives of plastic surgery at Queen Mary's Hospital Sidcup, UK. I had to make an appointment to view the records that I was seeking but to my amazement I discovered the main contents of the archives were the case notes of military personnel who suffered facial injuries during WW1.

I mentioned that I had a member of my family who had a war wound to his jaw and within seconds of me giving his name, his medical records were produced with details of his age, rank, regiment, date of wound and the battle, together with the dates and nature of his operations.

To my astonishment, I was then informed that they had further information on my relative, in as much that whilst he was in the hospital for treatment he had learned embroidery and they showed me a photograph of his handiwork, which was embroidery of his regimental cap badge and colours.

They have thousands of photographs of their WW1 patients, many taken before they were wounded, but mostly of their wounds and the result after treatment. The archivist is keen to obtain photographs of ex-patients after they had settled back into civilian life.

Altogether the archives contain over 2500 records of UK, Australian and New Zealand personnel. Most of the case notes are in their original folders and relate mostly to soldiers, with a small number of Navy and Flying Corps personnel, whom had suffered burns. The records include rank, number, regiment and date of wounding so that the action in which they were wounded can often be identified.

I am informed that The Gillies and Macalister Archives are probably the most important and complete collection of facial surgery records of their age in the world anh details of his age, rank, regiment, date of wound and the battle, together with the dates and nature of his operations.

I hope this information may of use to some WW1 researchers who are currently unaware of this research source.
Glyndwr (Glyn) Davies, Chatham, Kent, UK.

...... hope this doesn't repeat too much, as it a big chunk of text:)

I have Glyn's email address if anyone wants to contact him.

Regards
Patrisia

Tom Frizell
06-04-2010, 2:07 PM
Hello Pat, Have just found this site and note that one of Glyn's ancestors was on Glyncoch Farm, Pontypridd. This was my great uncles farm where I was brought up and would therefore like to conrtact Glyn.
Thank you.
Tom Frizell

stickymone
06-04-2010, 3:25 PM
Hi Tom,

I'm sure one the the Mods will confirm this but, I don't think Patrisia been about for some time.
You could try sending her a PM or if you go to her web site which is listed on her profile you'll find an e-mail address

Regards

Stickymone

Peter Goodey
06-04-2010, 4:29 PM
Come on fellow researchers!!! It took me 30 seconds to find Glyn Davies' email address.

What's the protocol for passing on email addresses?