PDA

View Full Version : 'Twyford Lodge' ???

Mandy
16-01-2005, 1:17 AM
Hi

I am wondering if there is anyone who can help me with ANY information on a place/building called Twford Lodge in Acton Lane,

Thank you in advance

Mandy

Peter Goodey
16-01-2005, 10:23 AM
A euphemism for the workhouse - often used on birth certificates. The records of Willesden Poor Law Union are with London Metropolitan Archives.

There's a description here:
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/Willesden/Willesden.html

Mandy
18-01-2005, 12:09 AM
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply and for explaining that, it does now explain why that was on my grandfathers birth certificate.

Thanks again

Mandy

bruce&maria
21-02-2006, 12:55 PM
My birth certificate is saying that I was born in Twyford Lodge Willesden in 1941...But i understand that It was called Park Royal Hospital from the year 1921
has anyone have a idea why the registrar would put Twyford Lodge on my birth certificate in 1941 (by the way i have only this morning seen my full certificate after 65 years)

Thank you
Bruce Cooper

Peter Goodey
21-02-2006, 4:43 PM
Change of name...change of management...same stigma (in some peoples eyes). Don't forget the NHS didn't start until several years later and even then it took time for the old workhouse infirmary image to completely die out.

bruce&maria
22-02-2006, 8:50 PM
Thanks Peter.
The children and grandchildren just love the fact their granddad was born in the workhouse

Bruce Cooper

THaf
19-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Blimey.

My Great-Grandmother died at Twyford Lodge, Willesden in 1935.
I had no idea it was a workhouse, the name certainly didn't imply that.
Has anyone got any idea where I can find out more about the place?
Have they kept records of patients at all, unlikely I know but I have to ask!?

Thanks,
Tan

Peter Goodey
19-09-2006, 10:36 AM
My Great-Grandmother died at Twyford Lodge, Willesden in 1935.
I had no idea it was a workhouse, the name certainly didn't imply that.
Has anyone got any idea where I can find out more about the place?
Have they kept records of patients at all, unlikely I know but I have to ask!?

It wasn't a workhouse in 1935 ;)

The Hospital Records Database lists the current and previous names as follows:
Present name
Central Middlesex Hospital

Previous name(s)
Willesden Workhouse Infirmary (1900 - 1914)
Willesden Institution (1914 - 1921)
Park Royal Hospital (1921 - 1931)
Central Middlesex County Hospital (1931 - 1948)

Records are at the LMA but the database is silent on patients' records. It might be best to ask the LMA what they've got or perhaps records are still with the hospital. You'd need dispensation to get her records but quite frankly I doubt if they'll tell you much more than what you know from the death certificate.

Tom-M
26-10-2006, 8:28 PM
Hello Everyone.

Just a quickie, in the last few months the old lodge/hospital has been totally
demolished and a new hospital is up and running.
The developers are building flats on the site.

Regards Tom.

Colin Rowledge
12-11-2011, 10:27 PM
I Have at least 3 people who have died at this location. Their death certificates, however do not reflect the names as noted in Peter's post #8.

I was born in Acton and my dad was born in Willesden. While my dad is no longer with us, I am interested in these 2 areas and their historic buildings. It has been 48 years since I left this area of England.

Colin

Kerrywood
12-11-2011, 10:34 PM
I Have at least 3 people who have died at this location. Their death certificates, however do not reflect the names as noted in Peter's post #8.
The whole point was to draw a veil over the name of any institution that was (or had been) a poor law institution, because of any stigma that might be attached to it. Hence these other names that were used, some of them invented specially for the purpose.

For an explanation, please see here and scroll down to Willesden.
www.
workhouses.org.uk/addresses/

JohnN
13-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Old habits die hard.
My brother was born at Central Middlesex Hospital in 1948.
As far as the family was concerned, he was born at Park Royal.

Colin Rowledge
13-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Old habits die hard.

They sure do John.

My grandmother died there in 1953 - her death certificate says "Park Royal Hospital"

My Great-grandfather died there in 1936 - his death certificate says "Twyford Lodge"

Colin

torrox850
12-07-2013, 7:42 AM
G'day folks,

I too was born at Twyford Lodge, Willesden, Urban District June 10 1944. Twyford Lodge was the maternity ward at Park Royal General Hospital. It may have some link to Twyford Abbey Rd which is/was close by

M Hanglin
05-05-2014, 8:10 PM
Hi, my birth certificate says Twyford Lodge 2.3.1941 Willesden, Sub District Harlesden, County Middlesex, signed by Leonard Algar interim Registrar. Was just wondering what actually stands there now and would anyone have a photo of the present place.
Thanks
M Hanglin

Knowles
28-03-2019, 1:06 PM
My relative was born in April 1929 at Twyford Lodge

So although it became Park Royal Hospital was it still a workhouse?