PDA

View Full Version : Bethnal Green 1842

mizztraveller
25-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Where can I find newspapers which would be local to Bethnal Green in 1842? As most of the population would have been illiterate at that time, would there have been anything in existence?

Jan1954
25-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Have a look at the British Library Catalogue (http://catalogue.bl.uk/F/H6KJSAX8B585B896C7XU2SF7BGSY6SGAAQR5HHS5SE8HFIN78J-21661?func=file&file_name=base-list-blac). Click on "Newspapers".

You would be surprised at how many people could read.

mizztraveller
25-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Good link, thanks. Unfortunately nothing in Bethnal Green prior to 1873.

Jan1954
25-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Bethnal Green may have been covered by a newspaper with a wider circulation. My geographical knowledge of that area is not that good and so I am unable to suggest specific areas to try.

Hopefully, someone else will...

mizztraveller
25-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks. I've tried Middlesex too but if anyone can come up with any better suggestions I'd be really grateful.

Marie C..
25-08-2008, 2:37 PM
What is it you want specifically? A newspaper report? If not and if you just want to know what the place was like and what went on in the 1800's then google partlington. This is a private fam tree which I think is fab as he has pictures and descriptions and, if memory hasn't failed me, includes the Bethnal Green area.
M

mizztraveller
25-08-2008, 3:06 PM
Thanks Marie, but it is a specific article I'm looking for. I have a death certificate and the cause of death is 'found drowned' and I was hoping I might find more info in a newspaper.

Marie C..
25-08-2008, 3:22 PM
Reason I suggested it apart from it being one of the best fam tree sites I,ve seen is beacuse he has excerpts form newspapers articles included and he might be able to tell you where to find what you are looking for. He's a very nice chap.
M

sandiep
25-08-2008, 3:46 PM
Have you tried the Times online archive they had reports from all areas and have been going since well before that time

sandie

Mutley
25-08-2008, 4:01 PM
The Times was more like a local rag back then, it may have an article.

I have not looked around this site (http://www.newsplan.co.uk/laser_newsplan/modules.php) (History and Society Through Local Newspapers
in London and the South East) but it may be worth a browse

The National Archives and the British Library have some holdings.

The London Illustrated News was first published in 1842.

If Bethnal Green or Middlesex are not specifically listed, try East London

Good Luck

mizztraveller
25-08-2008, 4:03 PM
Hi Marie

Have Googled 'Partlington' but not found any family tree sites. Are you able to send me a link?

Marie C..
25-08-2008, 5:35 PM
www.partlington.co.uk
M

merlyn
06-09-2008, 5:17 PM
Copies of newspapers in that area are on micro film and are in the Tower hamlet archive Bancroft Road just off Mile End Road. Suggest that you contact the archivists there they really are nice chaps and you may be lucky if there was a newspaper they will know My GT GT GRANDFATHERdied in 1868 as the result of a road accident following a election hustings The report on the inquest was in 3 local papers and the Times.

suedent
06-09-2008, 6:43 PM
It might be worth checking the Gales Newspaper site the next time they do a free trial.

I have found snippets relating to my husband's Bethnal Green families in "The Daily News", the Morning Chronicle" & "The Times".

There is also the chance that the news agencies may have picked up on the story. I found a particularly interesting story featuring my husband's step-great-grandfather. Events took place in Golden Lane but were reported in Liverpool & Manchester papers.