PDA

View Full Version : O'Donnell or Donald,Nettleton Lunt

Ken Berry
25-08-2008, 7:50 AM
Hi All,
Subject is my grandfathers brother.He lived at 9,Pelham Road, Wallasey.
His wifes name was Winifred (nee Haygarth).They had a son born 1937 (my cousin).Uncle Donny and Aunty Winnie will have passed on,if any one can help with dates would be most appreciated.Also where abouts of son.Uncle Donny's brother was Thomas Edward Lunt 3rd Engineer on the S.S.Sagamore torpedoed 3rd March 1917 by Submarine U-49 150 miles west of Fastnet.Rescued by S.S.Deucalion 12th March 1917.Only 7 still alive in lifeboat originally had been 17.Two other lifeboats launched but disappeared during the night due to bad weather.Never seen again.7 were landed in Capetown,South Africa.% had feet amputated due to frostbite and Gangrene,but not my Grandad.He got back to the Pool but had to have his legs amputated just below the knee joint,My Mum remembered he had to have toes off and bits of flesh.Was in continual Pain.There was a big newspapercutting about him and praising him as a hero.Unfortunately lost.Hope some one might know of his brother and wife also his nephew.
Best Regards Ken Berry

rotti
23-08-2011, 3:00 AM
Hi Ken
Found your post during a trawl of unanswered posts.

You don't say if you have their marriage details, but they are on FBMD, Jun 1937, Wallasey 8a:1379; he is listed as O'Donnell N Lunt.
O'Donnell Nettleton Lunt, b Jan 1909 Toxteth Park 8b:152, d Sep 1965 Birkenhead 10a:34 age 56.

Winifred is more elusive, there are a few options for her birth & death; do you have anymore info on her?

FBMD parent search shows two births:
Colin N Lunt Dec 1937 Birkenhead 8a:641
James Lunt Mar 1954 Wallasey 10a:789

These are both too recent to search further.