PDA

View Full Version : The Butler Family tree, who are we??

EleanorButler
24-08-2008, 6:22 PM
Hello,
Im not sure whether anyone can help but for quite a while now ive been curious about my family history yet unfortunatly i only know of a very small percent of members which includes.. 'mother father sister and my fathers grandparents and siblins. This is a very small family!!

My grandparents are very old fashioned and very stubborn who will not want to get into all the trivials of family history, and my Father and his sister doesnt know much either. So i am left to find out for myself.

I have no idea where to start or even what to do, but i am really determined to find out who my ancestors were and what history lies within the Butler family name.

Can anyone help??

Jan1954
24-08-2008, 6:25 PM
Hello Eleanor - welcome to the forum.

The best way to start tracing your tree is to write down everything that you do know and can back up with evidence. You could start with your parents - their marriage date and place, their birth dates and places. Then move onto your grandparents. Try to find out when they were married and born. Their birth certificates should provide details of their parents - including the maiden name of your great grandmothers.

Talk to your grandparents - ask them about their childhoods. You might be surprised!

Have a good look round this forum - there are loads of hints and tips as to how to go about tracing your tree.

Good luck with your research and take your time to enjoy it on the way.

Fidgetsmum
25-08-2008, 8:16 AM
Following the advice already given is the best way to go.

I was lucky in only having one 'reluctant' grandparent, but apart from the aforementioned sherry (which worked a treat I might add!) - I found Christmas or family get-togethers were the ideal time to introduce the 'I bet Christmas was different when you were young?' question. Usually it resulted in 'Oh! yes. My parents couldn't afford ---, so my uncle made us ---...'

This told me a lot, why couldn't the parents afford whatever it was? Was the father in a low-paid job and what was it? Who was the Uncle? A brother of the Mother or Father? Us? A clue to siblings? What did he make? A wooden toy? Was he a carpenter/cabinet maker?

Other casual remarks from you can elicit all sorts of information which can be even more help than just a list of names and dates.

My family is even smaller than yours, both my husband and I are only children; in addition, both my parents were themselves only children and one of my grandmothers was also an only child. The remainder of my grandparents were the youngest in their family and their siblings died many years before I was born. Of my husband's family, although his parents had 2 siblings apiece, his grandparents died before he was born and whilst 2 of his aunts and uncles are still alive, they are now in their 90s, live in Australia and too frail to expect to help with my research.

Having said that, (with one exception - where I'm waiting for a certificate to confirm a Mother's name) I have managed to trace both our respective families back in an unbroken line, to the 1770s and, in one instance to 1582. It's taken over 30 years of (off and on) research, but it is possible.

Peter Goodey
25-08-2008, 9:28 AM
Can anyone help?

If your family are uncooperative, ignore them. The only starting point that you need is yourself.

As you read other messages you may actually come to realise that there are some benefits in not being misled by dodgy information from family members.

melsibob
25-08-2008, 9:53 AM
I agree with Peter - family members can be more of a hinderance than help sometimes! If you want things looking up or general advice and tips - ask away. Everyone on on here is very friendly and helpful. Some even share their jokes|biggrin|

Peter Goodey
25-08-2008, 10:30 AM
"Ask the family" is very often the first bit of advice offered to beginners. I sometimes wonder how many people without family to ask or who can't get any sense out of their family are put off and never pursue it any further.

While we all know that there are circumstances where family information can be invaluable, the fact of the matter is that the vast majority of people are not hampered at all by having nothing to start with except their own birth certificate!

maureen54
25-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Hi Eleanor
I had the same situation as you, but hang in there and just to give you a bit of confidence;)we are here to help!!
My Mums mother died after giving birth to my Mum and was told her father died when she was a toddler and she was reared by her maternal Grandmother and Aunt.
It turned out my Mum never knew her parents and passed away in 2000. I started doing my research thru Ancestry just over 12 months ago and upon doing it by myself I found out that my Grandfather had not :eek: but left my Mum with her grandmother and remarried.He had 3 boys and I searched for them even by the British Phone book online.
By being cheeky I rang a few with those Initials and surname & I contacted one of them and spoke to the wife and she told me he had passed away,and she also told me that the eldest brother was still alive|jumphappy.
So I was cheeky and rang him and the info he gave me was fantastic and he even sent me a photo of my Grandfather and I sent him a trinket that belonged to my Mum for him to keep as they where Step brother & sister. We are still in contact !! So dont despair and dont give up!!The power of the internet is amazing!!!
I am sure we can help!!
Cheers
Maureen

beachbaby
26-08-2008, 12:04 PM
You say the family name is Butler? Where from?

My great grandmother was Teresa Ellen Butler born Moville, Donnegal, Ireland 1874, daughter of Patrick Butler and Catherine Logan. Are yours Irish?

Thanks

|wave| Teri

Tinker
26-08-2008, 1:16 PM
Hi Eleanor
As several others have said on this thread, it's perfectly possible to trace your family back without much/any family input. I started with nothing but a postcard with a family member's name and an address in Wood Green, London, on it, and a letter from an 'Auntie Jessie' connected to my dad's side of the family, as my grandfather died years ago, in his early 50s, and my dad knew very little about his father's family. All it takes is a bit of perseverance and time, and before you know it, you'll be amazed at the info you've uncovered! I've got my lot back to circa 1801 or so, and the joy of each new discovery very definitely outweighs the frustrations!!