PDA

View Full Version : RICHARDS - LEACH - WOOD

allyj50
24-08-2008, 5:54 PM
Catherine Richards from Runcorn, Cheshire born 1866 and died 1918.
She married George LEACH born 1860 from Colne Lancashire but don't have a date for when they married.

Originally they had 2 sons GEORGE born 1896 Nelson and KIEREN EDWARD known as EDDIE born 1901 Burnley. There was mention of an adopted daughter MAGGIE WOOD born 1880 Preston.

We knew that their parents' had died and that the will was divided 3 ways but we were told by Kieren's elder daughter (my Aunt) that no one seemed to know who the 3rd person was and we assumed it was Maggie.

However, last week my niece discovered an abstract will and codicil in Catherine's name and a 3rd son in the name of WILLIAM FREDERICK was named in the will. We have managed to trace him in the birth records as registered in 1903 but someone has written on the will that he was born in 1902. We realise that he might have been born then but they were just late in registering his birth.

Catherine asked that her personal estate be converted into money and to be used for educational trusts for her sons - Xarvarian College at Whalley Range Manchester and in the Codocil also took insurance policies (2 - one for £250 and the 2nd for £150) out on her husband from the Prudential Insurance Company and asked that the premiums be paid from the estate. The will was written in 1918 but she died in 1920. Executors were her elder son and family solicitor in Preston.

We cannot find a death date for her husband and neither have we been able to trace what happened to the 3rd son. The adopted daughter turned up in
1901 as a housekeeper with Robert & Elizabeth Baldwin, listed as Robert’s sister-in-law. So she wasn’t an orphan. They were living at 55 Rock Street, Nelson.

She left £24,200 11shillings 8d (old pence) which we have worked out to be half a million quid in today's currency!

The story goes that my grand-dad KIEREN EDWARD went to the Xarvarian College as a boarder and then went into the army. We have no army number or regiment for him although the family story is that he was in Ireland in 1920-21 at the time of the troubles. But that might have been with the black and tans who were not the regular army. I thought i have have been able to trace him via his army pension but the powers that be at preston need his army number or regiment and we only have "stories". We know he married though in 1922.

Anyone any ideas?

We are also curious to how Catherine came by "personal estate" as well as why we cannot find any trace of the 3rd son.

Ally x
newbie Warrington

PS hope I have put this in the right category. Just re read it and wondered if it should be in the brick wall category as well ???|banghead|

Jan1954
24-08-2008, 6:00 PM
PS hope I have put this in the right category. Just re read it and wondered if it should be in the brick wall category as well ???|banghead|Now sitting in Brickwalls.

janbooth
25-08-2008, 2:21 PM
I don't know if you have any census records, but George and Catherine are shown as married in the 1891 census of Nelson (RG12/3376, folio 47, page 23). They are living at 21 Leeds Road and George is described as a Fish Dealer, aged 31, born Colne and they have adopted daughter Maggie WOOD aged 11 born Preston living with them.

In the 1901 census they are in Nelson, George a Fish & Game Dealer living at 24 Scotland Road with sons George & Kieren E.

I think I have found Catherine in the 1871 & 1881 census records and if you do not already have this info let me know and I will post it for you.

Janet

allyj50
25-08-2008, 11:11 PM
There is a 3rd son WILLIAM FREDERICK born march 1903 - can you find him living with parents too?

Ally x

allyj50
25-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Can you find a death date for the father at all?
We have been unable to.

Would you say being a fish and/game dealer in those days was a good occupation and worth lots of money?

Cheers
Ally x

janbooth
26-08-2008, 9:58 AM
Ally,

Census records in the UK are only available every 10 years from 1841 to 1901 at the moment so until the 1911 census records are released I will not be able to find William Frederick. As to George snr's occupation, it depends on how much dealing & selling he did. Perhaps a search of directories will give you a clue. You can search some of these yourself online at www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/ for free.

1901 census of Nelson

RG13/3880, folio 50, page 1
24 Scotland Road

George LEACH Head M 41 Fish and Game Dealer Lancashire Colne
Catherine do Wife M 35 Cheshire Runcorn
George do Son S 5 Lanc Nelson
Kieren E do Son S 1 month do do
Charlotte MYERS Serv S 28 General Servant Domestic Yorkshire Yeddon

1891 census of Great & Little Marsden, Nelson, Lancs:

RG12/3376, folio 47, page 22
21 Leeds Road

George LEACH Head M 31 Fish Dealer Lancs Colne
Catherine do Wife M 24 Cheshire Runcorn
Maggie WOOD Adopted S 11 Lancs Preston
Catherine SHIELS Serv S 15 General Servant Domestic Ireland Kilkenny

I think this is George & family in the 1881 census of Bingley, Yorkshire but you will need his marriage certificate to Catherine to check that this is indeed his father:

RG11/4342, folio 25, page 2
2 York Place

Thomas LEACH, wife Emma and children George, Caroline, Hannah, Oliver & Thomas. You can look this up for yourself on the IGI Family Search website.

In the 1871 census of Bingley, Thomas & wife Mary (looks as if father Thomas was married twice!!) are living at Prospect St with children John W, George, Martha C, Joseph, Hannah & Oliver.

In the 1861 census George & parents are in Bingley:

RG9/3219, folio 34, page 15
Nelson Street

Thomas LEACH Head Mar 23 Worsted Weaver Kent Greenwich
Mary do Wife Mar 24 do Lancashire Colne
George do Son 1 do do

In the 1851 census of Bradford, Yorks (HO107/2287, folios 861/2, pages 13/14) Thomas is living with parents Joseph, aged 63, Wool Comber, born Keighley, Yorks and Caroline, aged 46, born Chatham Kent at West Lane together with siblings George aged 28, Tailor, born Greenwich, William H aged 10 born Greenwich, Martha aged 7 born Haworth, Yorks and a grandson Henry aged 1 born Haworth.

cont...

janbooth
26-08-2008, 10:44 AM
.......cont

In the 1881 census of Kirkdale, Liverpool (RG11/3678, folio 43, page 17), Catherine is described as a Servant living at 4 Ruskin Street - you can look this up to find the rest of the household.

1871 census of Halton, Cheshire:

RG10/3690, folio 56, page 28
Heath Road

Edward RICHARDS Head Mar 35 Stone Mason Salop Shrewsbury
Apphia do Wife Mar 37 do do
Catherine do Daur 4 Scholar Cheshire Runcorn
Jessie do do 2 do do do
F. A. do do 1 do do

There is a marriage registration in the September qtr 1863 at W Derby registration district, vol 8b, page 669 of an Edward RICHARDS and a corresponding entry for an Apphia WALFORD which could be relevant to you.

Edward RICHARDS looks as if he is a visitor in the 1861 census of Grinshill, Shropshire (RG9/1887, folio 44, page 10). He is described as a Stone Mason, aged 23, born St Mary Clive, Shropshire visiting the household of a John DAVIES, aged 31, an Ag Lab at Merry Lane. Grinshill and Clive seem to be where the WALFORDs are born/living. However, to trace him further back, I think you need to get his marriage certificate to determine his father's name & profession.

This looks like Apphia WALFORD in the 1861 census of Shawbury, Shropshire:

RG9/1887, folio 74, page 2

Apphia WALFORD Lodger Un 27 Boot Binder Salop Clive
John do Lodger Un 22 Stone Mason Salop Grinshill

They are lodging in the household of a Mary OWEN a 61 yr old Widow.

There is an extracted baptism on the IGI of an Apphia WALFORD on 12 February 1834 at Clive, father William mother Frances and of 3 siblings.

At the moment, I am unable to find a marriage registration for Catherine & George but will keep looking as this is the missing link to confirm both their fathers.

Janet

bumblebee
26-08-2008, 11:28 AM
There is a marriage in 1882 which caught my eye, a George Leach, Burnley Registration district, on the same page is a Catherine Shield. (Q2 8e 343) I notice the name of the servant with the family in 1891 was 'Shiels' - also there is a birth registration for a Catherine Shiels in Q3 1865 Runcorn, Cheshire, 8a 185

I know this is more than likely a big red herring.

There is even a Kieran Sheil, 1863 Q3: Runcorn, Cheshire 8a 189 - quite a distinctive name.

The above seems to belong to this family in 1881 (also there is a possible marriage of a Thomas Curley and a Ellen Shiels)

Widnes

28 Water Street

Edward Shields 10 born Runcorn
Ellen Curly 28 age out going by 1891 census. born Runcorn
Mary E. Curly 2
Michael Curly 4
Thomas Curly 38 born Ireland
Thomas Curly
John Rooney 60 boarder
...Kairien Shields 17 Son born Runcorn

Piece 3724; Folio: 98; Page: 14

Bumblebee

janbooth
27-08-2008, 3:58 PM
Ally,

I too spotted the marriage that Bumblebee found and wondered. Where did you get the information that Catherine LEACH was born Catherine RICHARDS, i.e. was it from the birth certificate of one of her children. If not, how do you know that she was indeed a RICHARDS. From what Bumblebee has found (i.e. birth registration of a Catherine SHIELS at approximately the correct date in Runcorn, another Kieran SHIEL in the family) and the fact that I cannot find the marriage of George to a Catherine RICHARDS plus his marriage to a Catherine SHIELD in the right general area, there seem to be a lot of coincidences. Could he have been married to the first Catherine and done a runner and ended up with Catherine RICHARDS??

As to Maggie WOOD. I have found the marriage registration of Robert BALDWIN to an Elizabeth Ellen WOOD in the December qtr 1895 at Burnley reg district. Elizabeth Ellen is in the 1891 census of Warrington, Cotton Weaver, boarding in the house of a William BOWNES. In the 1881 census of Preston (RG11/4241, folio 28, page 23) she is shown as the daughter of a James (aged 28, Labourer in Iron Foundry born Preston) and Mgt (aged 27, Cot Rover, born Preston) WOOD with siblings John Jos., James & Mgt (aged 2 born Preston) so this looks like Maggie WOOD's family. There is also a brother Simon JORDAN, aged 34, Roving Master, born Fleetwood living with them at 23 Bentinck St. There is a death registration for a James WOOD in the Sept qtr 1883 at Preston reg district, aged 31, but how you get to an adopted daughter for George & Catherine LEACH and why she did not remain with them after 1891 I do not know!!

Look forward to hearing your comments

Janet

allyj50
29-08-2008, 6:21 AM
Hi Jan and Bumblebee

I am not sure how I arrived at RICHARDS. My sister in law has done the majority of the research and it was only last week when we found Catherine's will that interest arose again especially with the 3rd son being named. We knew about the Catherine SHIELD but we knew of her only as being a servant!
As for Maggie this came from my Aunt originally but why she was supposedly "adopted" I honestly don't know.

I have passed your information to my sister in law and we are looking at the information we have and yours together to see if we had crossed wires so to speak. We thought if we got the marriage certifcate we might find out who their respective parents were. Other "lost family" we have recently found have told us that they have in their keeping certificates of the family so we may wait until we meet up with them in the Autumn to see what they have before "wasting money" on duplicated certificates.

Will definitely keep you all posted, but thank you very much for alot of your comments.

Ally x

PS sorry I haven't responded immediately, life at work has been very hectic - I'm a community carer.

janbooth
29-08-2008, 3:06 PM
Hi Ally,

No problem. My appetite has been whetted by your brickwall so will look forward to you receiving the certificates from the lost members of your family which will hopefully solve some of the queries. Try not to work too hard!!

Janet

rkv18
29-08-2008, 5:05 PM
Ok. Here is what i have come up with:-
1. I went on the family search website , typed in George Leach and Catherine as his spouse, it comes up with only Catherine Shield .
It says father Thomas Leach and if i click on Catherine, it says father Patrick Shield.
George Leach-Gender: Male Marriage: 25 APR 1882 Marsden, Lancashire, England
2. I had Catherine Leach written on my tree as George's spouse, the little census records sign popped up so i looked at them, it asked me if Catherine was married at the time of the census and i clicked on the other name it was Shield
3. And finally Kieran Edward Leach's birth certificate

allyj50's niece

bumblebee
29-08-2008, 5:40 PM
Hi rkv18

So do you mean Kierans birth certificate confirms the name of Shiel/Shield? Still some unanswered questions regarding Catherines estate of course, although maybe she just had a very good head for business.

Bumblebee

allyj50
29-08-2008, 11:13 PM
My grand dad's birth certificate confirms his parents as being CATHERINE LEACH formerly SHIELDS and GEORGE LEACH. DOB 1867.

Catherine's parents my niece now thinks are: ANN FINN from England and PATRICK SHIELDS. Catherine born 11 June 1867 and christened 7 July same year at St Mary's, Barnard Castle, Durham, England.

Cheers
Ally x

rkv18
30-08-2008, 8:37 AM
I believe her birth year is 1865 as it is the only Catherine that who's father is Patrick and is born in the 1860's, however it is spelt Shiels. Family search is a very reliable website. |idea|The case could be however just a spelling mistake as back then they were not as accurate on certificates as they are now. eg As on another certificate i have the persons two names were are swapped around.

Roz

janbooth
30-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Hi again Ally,

The Catherine SHIELDS born and baptised in Castle Barnard looks to have a Michael & Nancy SHIELDS as her parents according to the 1871 census of Castle Barnard (RG10/4945, folio 54, page 6). The only Catherine I can find with a father Patrick is in Liverpool in the 1871 census:

RG10/3809, folio 49, page 47
169 Haigh Street, Everton

Patrick SHIELS Head Mar 36 Domestic Servant Coachman Ireland Dublin
Margeret do Wife Mar 30 do ?
Mary do Daur 4 Scholar Lancashire Liverpool
Patrick do Son 2 do do
Catherine do Daur 1 do do

I think what you have to do now Ally is to get the marriage certificate of Catherine SHIELS and George Leach to confirm just who is the father of Catherine - there are quite a few Catherine SHIELS/SHIELD(S) floating around in the 1871 census records.

Janet

rkv18
30-08-2008, 4:39 PM
Yes, i do have Kieran's birth certificate which confirms Catherine Shields.
On Family search if you type in George Leach and Catherine as his spouse and the date of their marriage it also confirms that Catherine's father is Patrick.

Roz (allyj50s niece)

janbooth
31-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Roz,

The Family Search website is not considered a primary source as it is only as good as the people who submit the information. Sometimes the information is spot on and is therefore an extremely good source. However, in other cases it is totally inaccurate and can positively mislead you. Kieran's birth certificate is a primary source of information and gives his father's name and occupation plus his mother's maiden name which is Catherine SHIELDS. So far so good, but to get back to the next stage and confirm which Catherine SHIELDS is actually yours, you need to obtain her marriage certificate to George LEACH which should tell you the father's name and profession of George and the father's name and profession of Catherine (always supposing that neither were illegitimate). That should enable you to track them both, with their families, in earlier census records and in turn corroborate the information on the marriage certificate.

Janet

allyj50
21-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi again Ally,

The Catherine SHIELDS born and baptised in Castle Barnard looks to have a Michael & Nancy SHIELDS as her parents according to the 1871 census of Castle Barnard (RG10/4945, folio 54, page 6). The only Catherine I can find with a father Patrick is in Liverpool in the 1871 census:

RG10/3809, folio 49, page 47
169 Haigh Street, Everton

Patrick SHIELS Head Mar 36 Domestic Servant Coachman Ireland Dublin
Margeret do Wife Mar 30 do ?
Mary do Daur 4 Scholar Lancashire Liverpool
Patrick do Son 2 do do
Catherine do Daur 1 do do

I think what you have to do now Ally is to get the marriage certificate of Catherine SHIELS and George Leach to confirm just who is the father of Catherine - there are quite a few Catherine SHIELS/SHIELD(S) floating around in the 1871 census records.

Janet

A little late in replying but have only just found the information. I bought Catherine's birth certificate and her Dad was PATRICK and her mum was ELEANOR (ELLEN) ROWLEY. I have found the family living in Runcorn - in Nelson Street and Mill Street. I have further ordered the marriage certificate of George and Catherine and I think I ordered George's birth certificate too as there are just too many Georges out there!

I have just acquired the medal card for WW1 for Catherine's son Edward Kieran Leach.

Thanks for your pointers in the past.

ALLY x