PDA

View Full Version : Alfred Ernest Nicholl, Raf Padgate 1943

peter nicholl
14-01-2005, 7:59 PM
I am trying to find out more about my uncle Alfred who was a Warrant Officer at RAF Padgate. He died as a result of a Road traffic Accident in March 1943. He is shown on the CWGC site and I have a copy of his Death Certifcate. He is buried in the Christ Church Graveyard, Padgate. I managed to visit it and when I moved away some stuff from the base of the Headstone was surprised to find that I had had an Aunt as well! I have her Death Cert. which shows that they had at least one son and as I have been unable to find him, I feel a bit nervous in claiming that I am Alfred's next of kin in order to get his Service Records. The problem is compounded by the fact that RAF Padgate seems to have been a Training Station with a constantly changing population, although I feel pretty certain that as a WO, Alfred was there for some time. So, any help on Alfred and Padgate would be very much appreciated.
Peter
As a p.s., My Aunt's Death Certificate gives her a different Maiden Name than that on her Marriage Certificate: it is the same person as she is shown as Alfred's widow.
P

Geoffers
14-01-2005, 9:57 PM
I am trying to find out more about my uncle Alfred who was a Warrant Officer at RAF Padgate. He died as a result of a Road traffic Accident in March 1943.....when I moved away some stuff from the base of the Headstone was surprised to find that I had had an Aunt as well! I have her Death Cert. which shows that they had at least one son and as I have been unable to find him,
Hello Peter.
Did she by any chance leave a will? - or were Letters of Administration issued? - might mention her son and an address??

If not, depending on how old she was in 1943 and if her father was still alive, have you looked for a will for him, which may make a bequest for his grandson?

Apologies if you've already gone down this route.
Geoffers

peter nicholl
15-01-2005, 8:40 PM
Hi Geoffers
Thanks once again for your useful tips.
Peter