PDA

View Full Version : BURIAL PLACE FOR HORACE SKINNER. BRIGHTON

Ladybird
23-08-2008, 2:09 PM
I have been trying to find where Horace Skinner is buried.

He died 1956 in Brighton General Hospital. His eldest daughter, married, Annie Morbey was the informant on his death certificate.

So far, despite having a paid search and Brighton Council to look at all their council run cemeteries, I am none the wiser. Horace lived Grosvenor St, Brighton so maybe he is buried in one of the churchyards there. But I have no idea which one nor which church he may have belonged too.

Horace had daughters, Annie, Elizabeth, Victoria and Rose Lilian.

Please can anyone help me here.

Procat
23-08-2008, 2:13 PM
Have you tried searching the local newspapers for a death notice. They often include burial details.

Jan1954
23-08-2008, 2:17 PM
I am not sure when it opened, but had you considered the Woodvale Crematorium (http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/index.cfm?request=c1000843)?

Also, could it have been possible that he was buried somewhere other than Brighton? Home town of a daughter, perhaps?

Ladybird
24-08-2008, 6:45 AM
To Procat and Jan1954.

I have tried everything possible. Even to a paid search to which I did not get a reply till nearly 5 weeks later from Woodvale. I had to ring them to find out if they had received my request. They said they had been busy. the only thing now is for a search of the church graveyards but, which one. I do not know Brighton nor ita churches. Nor am I aware of which belief Horace was.

It has been frustrating to say the least.

Procat
24-08-2008, 6:51 AM
One of the 'pleasures' of chasing dead people. :)

I have a few like that myself.

Ladybird
24-08-2008, 6:59 AM
My word. Your reply was quick. All the way from Ausralia?

Also meant to say that Horaces daughter who was the informant to his death in Brighton Hospital, also lives in Brighton. An advert in the Brighton Argus brought no replies. If he is in a churchyard then surely he must be recorded in Brighton
somewhere?

I have followed up every suggestion that has been sent to me.

Ah, well! Its not for want of trying. Lovely rainy day here after just two.days of sunshine. Well, it should be our summer.

Procat
24-08-2008, 7:04 AM
Did his wife die in Brighton?

If not perhaps they are buried together.

Your summer sounds like our winter - except we don't get much rain these days.

Jan1954
24-08-2008, 11:09 AM
This is one big long-shot, but have you investigated the records for Brighton General Hospital? They may have a record as to which funeral director his body was transferred. Whether or not the funeral directors would still be in existence, is another matter.

LittleMissP
24-08-2008, 2:37 PM
Do you know where he was born? Perhaps if he wasn't born in Brighton he may be buried in his 'home town', maybe with his parents? I would certainly look for where his parents are buried and see if that throws anything up.

Ladybird
25-08-2008, 5:32 AM
Horace was Born in Brighton. June quarter 1869 and baptised in Henfield

His parents had moved from Henfield in Sussex with other children. His mother died soon after his birth.

I have put a request out for that area hoping that someone recognises the name.

LittleMissP
25-08-2008, 11:16 PM
This is the website for Henfield Parish Cemetery: http://www.henfield.gov.uk/cemetery.htm

Another useful place to examine would be the Sussex Family History Group's Tomestones and Burials page here: http://www.sfhg.org.uk/tombstones.html There are some lovely and very helpful people on there who can tell you if there is a grave bearing the name you are looking for within Sussex.

Good luck with these, hope they lead you to what you need.

Paula

LittleMissP
25-08-2008, 11:18 PM
P.S. Let us know if Horace turns out to be with his Mum

Ladybird
27-08-2008, 6:21 AM
I have now sent an e-mail to to Mrs. C. Payne asking her if she could please check the cemetery burials for Horace Skinner in Henfield.

Good thinking and wished my brain had not been so tied up with finding him in Brighton and so thought of this myself. Horace was baptised there.

Will certainly let you know. A pleasure.

LittleMissP
28-08-2008, 12:32 AM
I searched for a very long and frustrating time for a lady in my family who married and lived in Southwick (just outside Brighton)- found her husband's and son's grave there but could find no trace of her. I went down all sorts of obscure routes and records to find a trace... It drove me nuts! Then the lady you e-mailed at Sussex Family History got back to me very quickly and I knew from then that I was just looking in the wrong county, she wasn't there to find in Sussex... I've found her now, in Bournemouth in Dorset (but that's another story). The moral of the story is that perseverence pays off in the end, and logic doesn't always work (even if it mostly does), especially tired and frustrated logic :)

I hope you get a quick reply and that it gets you the answer you're looking for. :D

Bashford Sussex
28-08-2008, 2:28 AM
http://www.sussex-opc.org/

maybe worth contacting they may point you in the right direction .

Ladybird
23-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Ladybird

stickymone
23-01-2009, 12:23 PM
If you had no joy with Brighton Council then you're going to struggle. The 3 main cemeteries for Brighton are Woodvale, Lewes Road and Bear Road all are very close to each and are huge! All 3 are run by Brighton Council and are where most Brighton residents tend to end up. Most of the churches in Brighton that I know of are in high density housing areas, most either have no graveyard or have been redundant for many years.

The nearest church to Grosvenor St would be St Peters which was historically the parish church for Brighton, that sits on an island between the Lewes and London Roads and does not have a graveyard anymore.

You could try Henfield of course the Parish church again is St Peters, you never know he may have bought a plot whilst living there. Although close to Brighton Henfield is in West Sussex the local council is Horsham District.

Goodluck with your search.S

David Benson
23-01-2009, 3:30 PM
There is also a large burial ground in Hove in which there are a lot of Brighton people. It's about the same size as all three Brighton Cemetries mentioned above put together. Look on Google Earth and enter BN3 as a Post Code - it is between Portslade & Aldrington Stations and on both sides of the A270.

Ladybird
24-01-2009, 2:29 AM
Jan 1954.

With apologies to everyone, it WAS Woodvale Crematorium that was unhelpful and not Downs.

Other wise I have tried everything else. Hospitals only record patients deaths but not where they are buried. I am on the right Horace Skinner track and he was cremated and his ashes either put with or buried with his wifes. Can get no positive answer from Woodvale (unless I pay)

Ladybird
24-01-2009, 2:32 AM
Again apologies. Tis 2 am in the morning. Was not able to sleep so came downstairs so as not to disturb the family and hubby.

Horaces ashes were either scattered or put with his wifes ashes.

|banghead|