PDA

View Full Version : workhouse - can find the children, but not the parents

KittyD
23-08-2008, 1:28 PM
Dear all

I'm helping a friend research his family tree and have hit a stumbling block - wonder if another head or two could stop me from going round in circles.

I'm helping my friend research a family called Miller in Thornborough in Buckinghamshire.

in 1851 I have the family down as follows HO107; Piece: 1724; Folio: 20; Page: 7.

Edmund Millar aged 47 Ag Lab
Catherine Millar aged 52
Elijah Millar aged 18
Martha Showler aged 21 Pillow Lace Maker
Mary Showler aged 12
Ann Showler aged 2

The Showlers were the children of Catherine from her first marriage. I have census details for all of the people going forwards but have come unstuck in 1841

I *think* I have found Elijah and a younger sister Selena in the Buckinghamshire Workhouse (Class: HO107; Piece 62; Book: 13; Folio: 4; Page: 5; Line: 13) But I can find no sign of his father Edmund anywhere either in the workhouse or on the census itself. I know that Selena was definitely Elijah's younger sister as I have found his and her birth on the IGI. I also know that Edmund was married twice, once to a Mary Shouler in 1825 and then to Catherine Shouler in 1846.

Would it have been unusual for the parents to send the children into the Workhouse and not go with them? Edmund can't just have disappeared into thin air - I can't locate him at all. Could somebody help me?

Thank you very much in anticipation
Kathryn
x

Peter Goodey
23-08-2008, 2:50 PM
Would it have been unusual for the parents to send the children into the Workhouse and not go with them?

If Edmund was a widower (was he?), it wouldn't be surprising to find that his children were in the workhouse. If he was able to work, he would be expected to.

I think you'll start seeing things with a lot more clarity if you get down to examining the Thornborough parish registers. The IGI is not a substitute.

lesleys
23-08-2008, 2:56 PM
No sign of Edmond in Thornborough but have found Catherine, transcribed Thouter on A*y (Ho107 piece 44 book27 folio5 page 1 line 18) with children:
Thomas 19,
Joseph 13,
Martha 11,
Ann 8,
Mary 2

KittyD
23-08-2008, 5:04 PM
Thanks for your replies you two - I appreciate you taking the time. This is most odd, I must say! I wonder what happened to Edmund in those 10 years. Unfortunately, neither myself nor my friend live anywhere near Thornborough so it might be a bit tricky to see the parish registers.

Also - many apologies for the error in my post with putting in copyright information - really sorry about that, I didn't realise and it was truly an error.

Thanks again, I'm off to have a look at Catherine now.

Peter Goodey
23-08-2008, 5:27 PM
Unfortunately, neither myself nor my friend live anywhere near Thornborough so it might be a bit tricky to see the parish registers

What we do in this situation, among other things, is to check whether the Mormons have filmed the parish registers (they have!). You can order the film(s) and view them at one of the Mormon places near you. They are listed on the website.

You could also investigate whether Bucks FHS sell transcripts of the registers (they do!). There are also other services advertised on their website that might interest you.

KittyD
23-08-2008, 5:41 PM
Well, what can I say? Thank you so much for your help and your kindness. I'm now off to check that all out and have a chat with my buddy. There is a Mormon place near me so that would be useful, and I'll also have a look at the Bucks FHS website.

Thank you very much for your time :)