PDA

View Full Version : Desperate to locate 2nd Gr Grandmother's family

g_kaus
22-08-2008, 11:54 PM
|help|I have been unsuccessful so far in locating a birth record, a parish record, or anything other than a Pallots Marriage record of Amelia May's marriage to my 2nd Gr Grandfather Thomas Rendle. Where does she come from? Where is her family? What I have: Her name is Amelia May (abt 1800 - 1889). She married Thos Rindle (should be Rendle) at St. James, Westminster in 1824 (source: Pallot's Marriage Index: 1780 - 1837). Thomas Rendle was born and raised in Paignton, Devon. He was a farmer (Paignton) and later a contractor / carpenter (Canada). Amelia and Thomas have two children born 1824 and 1826 in London somewhere and baptised later on the same date in Paignton. There are Tax records in Paignton reflecting tax payments made by John, Thomas, Richard and Samuel Rendle ending with Thomas alone from 1822 - 1831. No more Rendle entries were found following 1831. Their daughter Mahala is born in St Johns in 1834. That puts their immigration to Newfoundland between 1831 -1834. (Life in Newfoundland was very difficult at this time and centered around the fishing industry. Fishing was a seasonal industry and many went back home during the harsh winters.)
Why does he go to London and why does he come back to Paignton? Why do Mom and Dad and the three kids imigrate to Newfoundland?
I would be in your debt forever if you can help me locate where Amelia May is from and more about her family. Thank you