PDA

View Full Version : Chilwell Ordanance Factory Notts.

BurGlenB
22-08-2008, 10:02 AM
|help|MyGrandfather was an ex Depot Stocker at the Chilwell Depot dated 1946 on my mother's marriage certificate..could anyone help me ?l would like to know if there is any record of him working there etc and how l would go about getting this information.Thanks.

MarkJ
22-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Do you have a name for your grandfather? As I mentioned in a reply to your introdction post, I have a copy of "The Chilwell Story" which might possibly mention him.

Mark

BurGlenB
22-08-2008, 6:30 PM
Hello Mark,My granfather was Harold Swift was born in Nottingham 1890 ,he became blind in one eye and l am not sure if it was due to an accident at work or the First World War.Thanks Glenis

MarkJ
22-08-2008, 9:24 PM
No mention of him in the index Glenis - but I will look through the chapters about WW2 in case I see anything. There are a few pictures too - so you never know...

Mark

BurGlenB
23-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Hi Mark,can you recommend any other books?and the one you already have is it available in book shops?would be grateful for listings and prices etc|wave|Thanks Glenis

MarkJ
23-08-2008, 12:51 PM
The Chilwell Story isn't available as far as I am aware Glenis - although it can be bought (very expensively!) from second hand places online. The best bet is to see if a copy turns up at a car boot sale or similar. Quite likely to do so in Nottingham I expect.

It was written by a chap called M.J. Haslam if you come across it.

One place which may have a copy is the library in Nottingham. They would also have other books and stuff about the Royal Ordnance Depot at Chilwell I suspect.

The Evening Post sold a couple of soft cover books a few years ago - one called "Nottingham since 1900" and another called "Nottingham At War". Although not specifically Chilwell related, they do help to show (with lots of photos) what life was like in the city at the time. Again, I doubt these will be avaiable from bookshops now (but they could be) - a car boot sale or perhaps local small ads may turn up copies.

Mark

Peter Goodey
23-08-2008, 12:59 PM
The Nottinghamshire Libraries catalogue is available online and shows that the county library service holds 17 copies of the book.

MarkJ
23-08-2008, 1:06 PM
Thanks Peter :)
That would be my first port of call Glenis I think.

Mark

BurGlenB
23-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Thankyou both very much ,will search next week..unfortunately the library at Nottingham that holds Historical Details etc has been closed several months due to a very bad Flood that caused alot of damage ,it will re-open in Sept 2008 .|wave|Glenis