PDA

View Full Version : WISE FAMILY, CLERKENWELL

Lyntochter
22-08-2008, 8:51 AM
I seen to have come to a halt with my great-grandfather, Francis C (Charles) Wise, b. 1835 in Clerkenwell. He appears in all censuses from 1851 onwards but the only Francis Wise I can find in 1841 is living in Kingston upon Thames with the Hole family, aged 6. It could be him, he could have been boarded out but no clues apart from the fact that I know from his marriage certificate in 1860 that his father was called John and was already deceased by then and was a painter by trade. Any suggestions as to where I can look now - I have looked at the online Parish Registers but nothing seems to tally. I think I will send for his death certificate which might give a bit more information. Thank you for any help at all!

Mutley
22-08-2008, 3:31 PM
Sorry, I can only find the same one as you.
I also looked for a John born maybe 1800-1805 to see if Francis was mistranscibed but there are too many and none of the Middlesex ones looked possible. There was a Berkshire John with son Charles but who knows?

Sorry.

Lyntochter
23-08-2008, 3:05 PM
Thanks for trying. I did find a John and Mary Wise (both aged 30)in the 1841 census, living in Frederick Street, St Pancras which is quite close to King's Cross which is where family history has the family originating. My father said his Wises were supposed to come from two brothers who ran a chemist shop near King's Cross. I have sent off for the death certificate which may throw some light. I am now going to start looking for Francis Wise's father-in-law, also called John (Soden) and also deceased by the time of their marriage!