PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Orphan

fergal_jay
21-08-2008, 7:37 PM
I am looking for a friends great grandparents and I am not sure how to find them.

I know that they had a daughter who was:
Gertrude E Allport
Born: 21 Mar 1925
Shrewsbury, England, United Kingdom

and I think that her parents were
Herbert George Allport
Born: 1894
Shrewsbury, England, United Kingdom

and

Elsie Gainey
Born: ??

All the family knows is that Gertrude's mother was an Orphan from Spain!!! Can anyone find anything or suggest where I can look for Gertrude's Spanish orphan mother??

The illegitimate child I am looking for is Gertrude's husband:
Wallace Cecil Youens
Born: 16 Dec 1925
Whittington, England

and all we know about him is that he was born out of wedlock and noone knows his fathers name!

Can anyone please help. Due to that noone knows anything about them in the family it would be great to find anything. Thanks

Peter Goodey
21-08-2008, 9:42 PM
From the way you worded the question I suspect that you haven't got the Allport-Youens marriage certificate nor the Allport and Youens birth certificates.

If you don't have them, take a step back, draw a deep breath and order the certificates. When you've got the certificates come back to us if you can't see the way forward.

Ladkyis
21-08-2008, 9:48 PM
I agree with peter, start with what you know and then confirm it. Get certificates for your friends parents and then get certificates for her grandparents.
It is soooo tempting to skip a generation because you "know" all about it when what you know is what you think you have been told.
Get proof at every stage and never make assumptions.

maureen54
22-08-2008, 7:24 AM
Hi FJ & Everyone
Even tho Gertrude was born acording to your records on the 21 March 1925 according to the Free BMD Birth Index she was registered later...

Births Jun 1925

Allport Gertrude E
Maiden Name Gainey
District Atcham
Vol 6a
Page 987

Maureen

maureen54
22-08-2008, 7:29 AM
Hi Again
This could be her mother.......

Births Dec 1897

Gainey Elsie Maria
District Chippenham
Vol 5a
Page 65

Maureen

maureen54
22-08-2008, 7:34 AM
Contd........

And this maybe the marriage.........

Marriages Jun 1922

GAINEY Elsie m ALLPORT Herbert G
Allport
Ditrict Atcham
Vol 6a
Page1559

All the sources where found on the Free BMD INDEX and I listed them just in case you may not be able to get any certificates from the family

Maureen

ChristineR
23-08-2008, 4:35 AM
Hi FJ & Everyone
Even tho Gertrude was born acording to your records on the 21 March 1925 according to the Free BMD Birth Index she was registered later...

Births Jun 1925

Allport Gertrude E
Maiden Name Gainey
District Atcham
Vol 6a
Page 987

Maureen

This means June quarter - not unusual for a birth to be registered weeks after the event, this one being registered during April - June.

ChristineR
23-08-2008, 4:50 AM
The closest that I can find for your Wallace.
Name: Cecil W Youens
Year of Registration: 1927
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Mother's Maiden Name: Youens
District: Liverpool (1837-1934)
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 170

phil wood
05-04-2011, 10:42 AM
There are 6 Whittingtons in England, Phil.