PDA

View Full Version : Lost Grandad & Great Grandad

Wend50
21-08-2008, 1:10 PM
Hi Folks

I have reached impasse and cannot seem to find my grandfathers.

My grandfather, John Watson Alexander was born in 1868 according to his marriage certificate. The certificate says he was a Telegraph Linesman and his father was John Alexander who was a Mining Manager

Grandad John married Fanny Grant at Holy Trinity Church on the Isle of Wight in 1898. They had children, Agnes, Gilbert, Adam, Grace, Clement and Bruce (my dad).

If there is anyone with a suggestion for what I can do to find either of these elusive gentlemen then I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Wendy

JustJean
21-08-2008, 1:41 PM
Hi there

Have you found your family on the 1901 census? If so does it state where John was born?

Best wishes
Jean

lesleys
21-08-2008, 2:42 PM
Possibles ( and they might be red herrings that you have already discounted) for you to have a look at in 1901: Fanny Alexander (married) b 1872 Ventnor IOW visiting Reginald M Mouland and wife Harriet nee Downer (formerly of Fordingbridge Hampshire)
John Alexander (marr) b 1866 Ayrshire Scotland on troopship Harlech Castle - Southampton Water
What is Fanny's father's name on the Cert - If Cornwall then I found the right one, but there were others around of similar date of birth

When was their first child born - if there was a long gap John being in the army might explain it.
In Scotland there is a John, father John in both 1871 & 1881 b Fenwick Ayrshire which might be him - Scotland's People has two possible births in the right timeframe - you need credits to look at details

Wend50
21-08-2008, 5:27 PM
Yes have looked on 1901 census but as I don't know where he was born I cannot identify him
Thanks for suggestion

Wend50
21-08-2008, 5:33 PM
Yes Cornwall was her father.

First child was born 1902. Suspect he may have been on the Harlech going to Boer War but have no proof and he didn't stay long if so as children were 1902 and then 1903..then there was a gap till 1909!
Have tried Scotland's People but without birthplace cannot decide.

JustJean
22-08-2008, 1:24 AM
Not seeing a John Alexander with a father John whose occupation is miner in Ayrshire. The Fenwick birth has father as a Grocer and indeed the census has him as a grocer/flesher in 1871. Not saying that he couldn't change jobs by 1898 but still............

What has the occupation of John W. been given as on the 1902 and 1903 birth certificates of his children?

Best wishes
Jean

Wend50
22-08-2008, 7:03 PM
It quotes his occupation for all his children as "Telegraph Linesman" but I can find no reference at the GPO Museum so maybe he was military.
Am I being thick?
Regards
Wendy

JustJean
23-08-2008, 1:40 PM
No not thick at all!!!! After a wee google search I'm thinking that a telegraph linesman was a military occupation and not a civil one....or at least in your case it was. In this article here you'll read where a lad from NZ had enlisted as a telegraph linesman and died during the Boer conflict

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:HKSF6NSF-P8J:homepages.ihug.co.nz/~j_lowe/B%2520Boer%2520War.htm+telegraph+linesman+1902&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

Have you attempted a search in military records? Did he ever receive a pension?

Best wishes
Jean

JustJean
23-08-2008, 2:07 PM
Interestingly enough it seems the Harlech Castle troopship had only arrived 31 Mar 1901 at Southhampton from South Africa just in the nick of time to be picked up for the night of the census!!

This website is brilliant for plotting the maneuvers of the shipping...

http://www.angloboerwar.com/Other/shipping/190104.htm

So based on this info it seems that he had already been in South Africa and must have been returned home for a short time. Especially give that they wed in 1898 but no babies until 1902.

Best wishes
Jean

Barbara Wilkinson
23-08-2008, 4:59 PM
It quotes his occupation for all his children as "Telegraph Linesman" but I can find no reference at the GPO Museum so maybe he was military.
Am I being thick?
Regards
Wendy
My grandfather was a telephone (as opposed to a telegraph) linesman and I obtained his pension record from Post Office Archives - as it used to be called! - more than 10 years ago. It gave me some valuable information for my searches - but not his place of birth, which is what you seem to be seeking!
I simply wrote to them and they produced the records I wanted - however, having looked at their new and improved website, they now charge £30 to search, so perhaps I will have to stop recommending them every time a postal query comes up on this forum! I was obviously lucky; before they realised that there was money to be made - mind you I don't recall the website being as informative, or the collections so well catalogued.
It might be worth an email to see if they tell you anything without money changing hands! However, as I say - my grandfather's pension records did not show his place of birth!

PS - Just noticed that you say he was shown as a telegraph linesman on all the certificates you have. Do you think he might have been in the army all the time? If not, it could be that he was employed by the GPO using skills he had acquired in the army .....?

Wend50
26-08-2008, 2:15 PM
No not thick at all!!!! After a wee google search I'm thinking that a telegraph linesman was a military occupation and not a civil one....or at least in your case it was. In this article here you'll read where a lad from NZ had enlisted as a telegraph linesman and died during the Boer conflict

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:HKSF6NSF-P8J:homepages.ihug.co.nz/~j_lowe/B%2520Boer%2520War.htm+telegraph+linesman+1902&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

Have you attempted a search in military records? Did he ever receive a pension?

Best wishes
Jean

No I haven't searched military stuff as I thought a DOB/service no/place of birth or regiment would be required as a minimum.

I was interested that the Harlech castle docked the day of the census so I might try a bit of research down that avenue!

Found the article about the telegraph linesman interesting. I have been to the GPO records, actually spent 2 days there with no joy, but worth a visit!

Many thanks for the ideas ladies, very useful and given me some hope!
Wendy

JustJean
26-08-2008, 11:24 PM
One minor further hope to confirm a place of birth is the 1911 English census which should come available in the new year. THat might at least confirm Ayrshire for you so that you could feel confident that he is the same lad found on the Harlech Castle.

Best wishes
Jean