PDA

View Full Version : Edward Riley from New Brunswick, Canada to Boston; and Eva Brennan, natural daughter?

beachbaby
21-08-2008, 11:46 AM
|help|

I am trying to locate an errant great-grandfather. Edward (Edmund) Riley was born in St. Johns, New Brunswick about 1848 or 1850. I believe his mother was a young widow named Lavinia who had two other sons, Angus and Charles (but am not sure - there is another story circulating concerning his connection with the Brennan family of Halifax, BP). He emigrated to the US in 1881 and married my great-grandmother Lizzie Roche (Roach) abt 1886/87 and they had 4 known children, all born here in the Boston/Chelsea, Mass. area. Supposedly he was a naturalized citizen, but haven't found the papers yet. He is listed on the US census in 1900 as living on Chester Street, Chelsea, and as a "longshoreman". On one son's birth certificate he is listed as a "mariner" and on another a "longshoreman". Lizzie is described as a "widow" in the 1910 census, but we have no clue or indication of the where or when of his death, and she is buried with her daughter-in-law in a local cemetery. We believe that Edward deserted the family but have no idea what happened to him. Any help would be much appreciated as to this phantom seafarer.

It's really just an itch that needs to be scratched, one of those loose ends that drives you crazy, and there are a few interesting "black sheep" stories that would be solved if we could get the answer to this.

Hope the collective great minds can help! |bowdown|

Teri

BeeJay
21-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Hi Teri:

I'm not sure if you have this already, but Lavinia and her sons are in the 1851 census in Westfield, King's County, New Brunswick:
Lavinia A. Riley, age 25
Edward Riley, son, age 4
Angus S. Riley, age 2
Charles E. Riley, age 2 mo.

:)

beachbaby
21-08-2008, 3:44 PM
Actually I did see that, thanks. I'm just not sure about if it is his mother. The name has recurred in my family and according to one of the aunts that was her name, so it's probably 80%. I just wish I knew where he disappeared to - if he went to sea, or took off - it's just that there's nothing to show he even existed down here. And Lizzie is buried with the daughter in law, so it's weird. I just figured someone up there may have info about the family or the lineage. I have another group that I'm looking into, also, here in Boston in the 1880's. It's like the 1890 census would answer a lot of questions if it hadn't gotten destroyed. The Rileys occur in Halifax and in New Brunswick, and there is a connection to the Brennans, so I thought I'd just put the names out there and see what pops up. Thank so much for getting back to me, I really appreciate it.

:)

Mary Anne
21-08-2008, 3:45 PM
Hi, beachbaby |wave|

For New Brunswick stuff, try one of these:

Vital Statistics (online index; certificates can be ordered) http://archives.gnb.ca/APPS/GovRecs/VISSE/?L=EN

New Brunswick Genealogical Society http://www.nbgs.ca/

New Brunswick Provincial Archives http://archives.gnb.ca/Archives/Default.aspx?L=EN

And, of course, since he is in the 1851 census in Kings County, you'll want to look for him in the later censuses as well. (BTW, you'll need to look for "St. John", not "St. John's" or you'll get 'way off track into Newfoundland! :cool:)

If his wife was listed as a "widow" in 1901, he may not have died, as you have surmised, but may have "left". Finding him will be a whole 'nother trick, or course, but I would keep looking for a death cert. And you might also try the alphabetical listings in street directories - you may find him living not far away. This has happened to me with rellies in Scotland.

You could also try looking at newspapers for a ship going down or something - very often they listed the names of mariners lost. The local family history society could help with that.

You may also just want to post your query to a whole bunch of different mailing lists (see Rootsweb) relating to the Boston area and shipping; I have found this *message-in-a-bottle method" has often born fruit years later!!

Other than that, just keep slogging and good luck!;)

Mary Anne

beachbaby
21-08-2008, 4:01 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Didn't realize that about St John, Newfoundland would be off a bit, wouldn't it? lol.

We always assumed that he "skipped town" as it were. The Boston city directories have her listed with him for a few years, and then all of a sudden she shows up as a widow. Just hit me as odd. But you never know, not having been there. He may have gone out to sea and vanished, never thought of that. The newspapers are a good idea. It's just that he's one of the oddballs on my list, so it looks like I will have to use exceptional methods to locate him. I like going back and forth on the census streets to look at who's living where - it's a good method to see if certain families are in each other's vicinities. Another good idea! Sometimes proximity gives me ideas as to which direction to go next. I will try what you are suggesting, thanks again.
Teri
|wave|

beachbaby
21-08-2008, 4:04 PM
http://archives.gnb.ca/APPS/GovRecs/VISSE/?L=EN[/url]

Just went here and found an Edward Riley who died in 1915 age 65. Hmmmmm .... sounds interesting, thank you.

Mary Anne
21-08-2008, 6:17 PM
beachbaby -- well, it never hurts to turn over all the rocks you can find to see what's living under them...

Ooooh! Hope that's him! Worth ordering the cert to see, I would think? Then that would be that, solved.:)

beachbaby
22-08-2008, 2:28 PM
|banghead|

I am now of the opinion that Lavinia is not connected to my Edward.

I am trying to figure out some info about a Hugh Riley who was married to an Isabel (not a common given name in Canada at the time) and they had a daughter Mary Ann. I am wondering if there were other children (I'm stuck on the site trying to find them). Mainly my interest is because, just a whim, one of Edward's daughters was Grace Isabel, and it was the name that piqued my interest. Certain names just seemed to keep repeating, and Isabel is uncommon, like Lavinia was. In looking back through my papers I found that it wasn't Lavinia that I was told for this line, but a different family.

Anyone having any knowledge of Rileys in New Brunswick circa 1850, it would at least be something to check out. I also have information that some of the family was from Halifax. You guys are so helpful, and I appreciate it.

Teri

p.s. am considering order that certificate and see what's on it. Never hurts, as you said!

tropical yankee
11-01-2009, 11:36 PM
I just found this site and came across this thread. The Edward Charles Riley/Rileigh who was married to Lavinia London was my great-great grandfather. They actually had four children - the 3 listed and an older boy John Benjamin who at the time of the census was apprenticing with his grandfather. Edward died 31 October 1851 in Westfield, New Brunswick and I'm not too clear on the cause of death. Lavinia was the adopted daughter of James and Nancy London and after Edward's death, went to school to get her teaching certificate and later married Richard Dalton in 1861.

The only one of the 4 children who lived a normal life span was my great grandfather John Benjamin who moved to MA and married Susan Hooper. Angus married and had several chiildren but died when they were young. His wife Althea remained close to Lavinia for the rest of her long life.

My grandmother Anne was John and Susan's daughter. She always spelled to name Rileigh but I supposed it may have been once spelled Riley. There's a branch of the family that has changed the spelling to Raleigh. Let me know if you have any questions about this group. I have not been able to find anyone before Edward. SOme records say he was born in Canada and others say England. If anyone has any infomration on that, I'd appreciate hearing it.
Marj

beachbaby
12-01-2009, 4:53 PM
Hiya!

My Edward was my great grandfather also. He was married to a Lizzie Roche (family was from Ireland). They had 3 boys and 1 girl that I know of. After the birth of the children he disappeared. He was a mariner, and the census reports that I have seen and scuttlebutt from my mother was that he was from New Brunswick. There was a "daughter" named Brennan (en) that appeared out of nowhere (first name Eva) who was not the natural child of Lizzie. We are not sure whose child she was - the birth certificate in Boston says parents unknown. I do know that there were Brennans in the same vicinity as the Rileys so who knows. Edward is an enigma, we're not even sure if he was from NB or Ireland, but we do know he was a mariner or worked on the docks. Hope we can both find our Edwards!

Take care,
Teri (in Massachusetts)|wave|

ps Do you happen to know where the other children ended up - you said Angus had children but died young.

Inez Reed
12-01-2009, 6:41 PM
You should have a poke around the newspaper "clippings" on the Provincial Archives of NB as well. There was a listing for an Edward G. Riley receiving his mates papers. Some of the listings for Riley include the notation to notify the Boston papers. There are also many Rileys. You can do a surname search or whole word/phrase search.

Good luck.

Inez