PDA

View Full Version : CLARK, WARREN, PETTIT in Burwell, Cambs.

Deb Clark Moore
10-10-2004, 5:03 PM
Hello.

My name is Deb Clark Moore and I'm researching the above names in Burwell, Cambs. (CLARK, WARREN, PETTIT) from the 1500's to the late 1800's. I'd love to hear from anyone who may be researching the same name(s).

Thanks!

Deb Clark Moore
Chicago, IL USA

Robyn Smith
11-10-2004, 8:03 AM
I'm not sure how widespread the surname PETTIT is/was in Cambridgeshire but I have a line of them in Little Shelford from the early 1800's. You could check the database on my web site and send me an email off list for more information if you are interested.

PettitC
11-10-2004, 8:26 PM
Hi

New on here today - and as a Pettit who was actually born in a house in Burwell (21 ++++ years ago) I'd like to say hello.

My father and his father and grandfather originated from Mildenhall, Suffolk only a few miles away and were the town bakers. I have started researching this side but have not gone too far as I have been concentrating on my wifes family. The Pettits are "a work in progress" and any information would be appreciated.

Best regards

Colin Pettit

Deb Clark Moore
12-10-2004, 11:57 AM
Hi Colin and thanks for your reply. It's quite a thing to correspond with an actual Pettit; I've found that it's a pretty uncommon name!

My Pettit originated in Burwell, Cambs. Susan Pettit, christened 28 AUG 1790, daughter of John Pettit and Sarah, married my gggg grandfather, John Clark on 16 NOV 1809. Both of them died young, in 1822; John died in September and Susan Pettit Clark died in December, but I don't know what they died from at this point. Their child, James Clark, born in Burwell in 1814 was my ggg grandfather. James married Lydia Harding from Reach on 7 DEC 1838, and in 1839, they had my gg grandfather, Pettit John Clark. (They also had a child named John Pettit Clark, so obviously, the name Pettit was important to them). Pettit John Clark married Edith Elizabeth Drusilla Warren on 10 FEB 1863 and they had my g grandfather Warren Henry Clark who was born on 21 SEP 1869 and emmigrated to the US in 1891. Warren Clark had my grandfather; Harold Pettit Clark in 1896, so obviously, the connection with the name Pettit continued almost 100 years later!

I don't know exactly where Susan Pettit's parents originated from (John and Sarah) as I haven't researched that line yet, but it's very possible that they originated in Suffolk. I didn't realize until I visited Burwell last spring just how close the county of Suffolk is! (a mile down the road!)

Please feel free to contact me for more information, or if you have any information to share.

Thanks, and hopefully, we'll find a connection.

Deb Clark Moore
Chicago, IL USA

PettitC
13-10-2004, 3:25 PM
:D

Hi Deb

Thanks for the email - As you say we are "uncommon" which I like to think you meant "unique" !!!!! lol

As I said before I have not ventured back much on my paternal side as yet but as they are so close I am sure there must be some connection.... indeed we have a tongue in cheek saying here "my dad had a bike" which meant he "got around a bit".... you never know we just might be related!

Seriously though if I find anything during my research I will let you know and if there is anything I might be able to help you with then please let me know.

It is nice to think you visited Burwell last year but it has changed and grown so much since I was born there such a short while ago ;) .

From my father and his 2 siblings we were predominently females (with 2 exceptions) and of us 2 males only one has so far produced a male to further the line ... it looks like we have a strong strain of females although my father was one of 3 boys.

I was weeks ago visiting relatives (maternal) in PA and visitied NJ, DC, NY and Canada and I must say I had a warm welcome even in Freedom Hall, Philadelphia after they learned I was English! I must admit they made jokes at my expense but it was all in good taste. I had a great two weeks there and am looking forward to my return in the next two years.

Colin

Deb Clark Moore
16-10-2004, 4:43 PM
Hi Colin.

Yes, that's what I meant...Pettit is a unique name! LOL!

If you could drop me a private email I can share the Pettit information with you that I have so far.

Thanks!

Deb Clark Moore
Chicago, IL USA

lostfamilies
05-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Hi
Well I have the Name Pettett/Pettit/Pettitt & that is just the spelling i know of all from the same family.
My bit starts when a Julia Jane Stigwood married a John Pettit sign Pettitt in 1844 in Wood Ditton I don't know if he died & she married a John Poulter or the two John's are one of the same as on what i thought was John Poulter & Julia's daughter Hannah's marriages 1st 1875 & 2nd 1884 she gives on both John Poulter butcher as father, but i could never find her birth well i am waiting on a birth cert for a Hannah Pettit who i believe is her.
On a another child a Samuel he married in 1899 & it gives him as Samuel Pettit Poulter Butcher father John Pettit Poulter butcher, so why would a Poulter take a 1st husband's name.
I have had help & the family seem to be Pettit up to the 1861 census then on 1871 census it changes to Poulter but have found No death for a John Pettitt or new mariage for Julia to a Poulter
Regards Janice

Guy Etchells
05-11-2004, 3:49 PM
Another website that may be of interest to those researching the Pettit name is that of new forum member Angela Petyt.
Cheers
Guy

angela petyt
06-11-2004, 2:39 PM
A search using Stephen Archer's excellent 'British 19th Century Surname Atlas' CD (which uses data from the 1881 census) produced -

Pettit - most concentrated in Suffolk and Middlesex, also spread across East Anglia and the South-East

Pettitt - biggest concentration in Middlesex, also high concentrations in Suffolk, Essex and Sussex. Also found in Cambridgeshire, Surrey, Kent and all across East Anglia and the South-East.

Pettett - found mostly in Kent, Cambridgeshire and Sussex

Petyt - found mostly in Yorkshire West Riding

Petty - found mostly in Yorkshire West Riding

As far as I'm aware, Petit and variants are Norman in origin, Petyt is Flemish.

Hope this helps.
Angela

Guy Etchells
06-11-2004, 8:43 PM
Reading this post I suddenly had a thought (yes it does happen sometimes) are there any instances of a Pettit (or variations) changing there name to LITTLE or vice-versa?
Perhaps nobody has considered this option I do tend to sidetrack at times. ;)
Cheers
Guy

lostfamilies
06-11-2004, 8:57 PM
With this family name i am having enough trouble with them going to Poulter lol i know from researching different names that anything is possible i am still trying to work out if the change is a marriage & children take step-father's name changed name to collect on a will or money or just changed it as the name change is a big leap.
I think i found the death of John Poulter & in 1903 Julia Poulter if i was to look for a will for her as she is on the census after John's death as a Dealer & Butcher they lived in Kirtling so would a will be something that the average person who husband then son were butcher do
Regards Janice

PettitC
13-11-2004, 5:47 PM
Moving on from your sideways thought .... the surname Small may well be another derivative ... having worked with a chap of that name for a few years we debated that point.

Mind you there is no way you could describe either of us as being 'Petite' :)

Colin Pettit

Maygladwin
23-07-2005, 9:55 PM
Interesting postings !
My Pettit ,(Charles)came from Mortlake Surrey born 1805/6,parents James and Lucy. He later worked as a silver chaser/engraver in Clerkenwell then Birmingham.
May

Pettetthg
13-06-2008, 2:14 AM
I am a Pettett originally from Lacon, Il., looking for ancestors of Henry T. Pettett prior to 1813 in England. Have you come across this name in your searching?

Gene Pettett

davidcarca
13-06-2008, 5:55 AM
There are hundreds of Henry Pettett and variations on the IGI. What's the significance of 1813? His birth-baptism/date of arrival in the USA/burial, or what? What else do you know about him? Anything in fact to try to narrow down the search.

David

PATSY
14-06-2008, 3:55 PM
Hello all researchers, :)

This is the info I have on PETTIT & CLARK.

GEORGE PETTIT c1795 / 1838 married MARY UNKNOWN c1799. They both came from GREAT STAMBRIDGE, ROCHFORD, ESSEX, ENGLAND. They had 2 daughters:-
ELIZA PETTIT c1831 from Gt. Stambrigde who I do not think married.

SUSSANNA PETTIT 7/12/1828 who married HENRY CLARK 24/9/1827 to 2/12/1902 both again from Gt. Stambridge. They are my 2 x Great Grandparents.

I do not have much info on the PETTIT tree, but quite a lot on my CLARK tree going back to JOHN CLARK c1777. I can trace my line down to myself.

If anyone can help fill in the gaps I would be very greatfull. My tree is on GENESREUNITED if anyone would like to see it.

Thank you,

PATSY CARTER (NEE CLARK)|cheers|

AnjaliUK
30-12-2010, 9:18 PM
I know this thread is fairly old now, but what the hell, I'll add to it anyway. I am also related to the Pettits that Colin Pettit mentioned, bakers in Mildenhall, Fordham and Ely in the 19th century. One of them is called Clark Henry Pettit, b. 1825 in Mildenhall and moved to Fordham with his brother John as an adult... so it's interesting that Patsy has links with a Henry Clark, although I don't know of any link to Gt. Stambridge off the top of my head, you never know in this game. Would be interesting in trading info and resources with anyone else researching this family.

Ellen
25-05-2013, 3:46 PM
Hello....I know this is many years later, but if you are still there, I also have Pettitt & Warren as names [ London, Clerkenwell & Birmingham]In fact the more recent Birmingham, Pettitt & Warrens, are on the Electoral role for several years , with an Annie Maria nee Moore- can't help you with the Clark AFIK :) but surprisingly, I also have many Poulter's.
Best Wishes