PDA

View Full Version : Margaret Wood/Barrett

janswaine
20-08-2008, 8:03 AM
My grandma was Margaret Mothersday(think?)Wood.Now I know she married my granddad in 1912 in Darlington,County Durham.They moved to Bradford ,Yorkshire around 1914.I know they got divorced inthe 1940's but then Grandma went missing and didn't return until the 1960's.We were taken to meet her when I was about 11,which would be 1963.We were then told to call her Grandma Holgate(Oldgate),not sure off the spelling.I am trying to find her family and to try and find out when she died.My Granddad was called Aaron Daniel Barrett.Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

Peter Goodey
20-08-2008, 9:38 AM
If you have doubts about your grandmother's name, I suspect that means you haven't got enough certificates. Check that you have your parent's birth certificate and your grandparents' marriage certificate. You'll need data from that certificate for tracing back.

Then for the divorce, contact Family Division, Decree Absolute Section, First Avenue House, 42-49 High Holborn, London WC1V 6NP (020 7947 7015).

For remarriage(s) and deaths, it's just a case of searching the GRO indexes and obtaining the certificates.

janswaine
21-08-2008, 6:32 AM
Have got granddad and grandma's wedding certificate but there is no information as to grandmas parents,don't even know where she was born.
Janet

Peter Goodey
21-08-2008, 8:50 AM
You know her age (might just be "full"), her stated address (probably no help) and names of witnesses.

Also you should know what the second "M" in her name stands for (from the marriage certificate and your parent's birth certificate and if necessary the birth certificates of siblings).

It's important to know this middle name - Wood is a very common surname.

There's this birth for example...
Births Jun 1888
WOOD Margaret Mothersill Middlesbro 9d 601
...or would that be too early?

janswaine
21-08-2008, 7:48 PM
Hi,Will check that one out as on the two birth certificates that i've got the middle name is not mentioned.But the one you've found could very well be her,the year is about right so will try that one.

Janet:)