PDA

View Full Version : Pancras workhouse/Mary Ann Goodwin

john goodwin
13-01-2005, 3:01 AM
I have just discovered my Great Great Grandmother, Mary Ann Goodwin nee Weale, died at the Pancras Workhouse, on 12/4/1893.
In 1881 she was recorded living with her husband Henry Goodwin, at 56 Vivian Road, Bethnall Green (Henry being a post office superannuant) and in the 1891 census I tracked them both living at 1 Anns Villas, Willoughby Road, Teddington, Middx. (If this is indeed them)
Mary Ann died of Paraplegia and I suppose it possible that Henry dumped her in the workhouse and went on his way. I cannot trace Henry's recorded death.
The family had lived at 8 Hanway Place, St. Pancras, when Henry was employed by the Post Office. (Royal Mail office at the end of Hanway Street)
Is there any way of finding when Mary Ann was admitted to the workhouse and in what medical condition was she in, when admiited.
Any comments will be greatfully received.

ccallow
14-01-2005, 9:51 AM
Hello John, Not sure if you are aware of Workhouses.Org but it might be worth checking out. It provides descriptions of the workhouses around the UK and gives useful links to find more info. Good luck. Christine.

Peter Goodey
14-01-2005, 5:19 PM
"I have just discovered my Great Great Grandmother, Mary Ann Goodwin nee Weale, died at the Pancras Workhouse, on 12/4/1893."

Definitely the workhouse itself and not the infirmary?

Admission Register for the workhouse itself hasn't survived for the period 1891-1893.