PDA

View Full Version : Chorlton Union Workhouse - Hannah Welch

Carolyn O'Flaherty
18-08-2008, 5:28 AM
Hello,|help|

By way of the 1901 Census, I think I've found my great great grandmother Hannah Welch aged 56 in the Charlton Union Workhouse. I found William, her hubby, a painter, boarding elsewhere in Manchester.

I've had a look at the a2a website and I've typed in Hannah's name but I don't come up with any information about her.

I don't think I can look at specific workhouse records online, but does anyone know if it is possible to get access to the various workhouse registers to narrow the search.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd love to know why my great grandmother x 2 was in the workhouse. It seems quite sad.

I'd most dearly love to go to Manchester to search the records myself , but it is toooooo far from Australia.

Carolyn

Peter Goodey
18-08-2008, 7:21 AM
I can't see any sign of any useful records of the Chorlton Union having survived among the workhouse papers.

You say it's sad but perhaps she was just ill. Presumably she didn't die there or you would have mentioned it.

If she was in the infirmary, there may be something useful in the hospital records. The infirmary later became Withington Hospital. The records that you'd be interested in are at Manchester Archives and Local Studies.

There is a list of record searchers on their website.

Carolyn O'Flaherty
19-08-2008, 10:34 AM
I can't see any sign of any useful records of the Chorlton Union having survived among the workhouse papers.

You say it's sad but perhaps she was just ill. Presumably she didn't die there or you would have mentioned it.

If she was in the infirmary, there may be something useful in the hospital records. The infirmary later became Withington Hospital. The records that you'd be interested in are at Manchester Archives and Local Studies.

There is a list of record searchers on their website.

Thank you for your help, Peter.

I haven't yet found where and when Hannah died, but her husband went to USA with their adult daughter and granddaughter in 1913 and there was no mention of Hannah.

Regards,

Carolyn