PDA

View Full Version : FTM Data error report

v.wells
17-08-2008, 4:08 PM
I have begun playing around with FTM finally. When I imported my GEDCOM to FTM it produced a data error report. But how do I find the lines that are numbered in order to correct the errors. Some I can find because there are names on the line but the others I can't. There seems to be no search function on FTM.

Can anyone shed some light please?:)

Andrew Mead
18-08-2008, 5:06 AM
Have you tried reading the Gedcom as a text file? You can open it in Wordpad or Notepad, or find a free download which will show you what line number you are on. The data on the line may be nonsensical, but it could give you a clue.

Beebee
18-08-2008, 5:31 AM
What version of FTM do you have? For the 2005 version to view the 'Data Errors Report' click on the reports icon and scroll down to 'Data Errors Report'.

v.wells
18-08-2008, 7:34 PM
Andrew and Beebee

Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I was beginning to give up hope. I have FTM 16/2007 version. The Data errors report does not bring up line numbers just missing birth/marriage/death dates. I will try opening it in notepad. I had tried Works but is not the same thing. The help files associated with FTM are not helpful as this is in Ansi text - their version of a list file.

Anyway just tried opening it in notepad and while I could read it, there are no line numbers. Most frustrating as I don't know what I need to correct if I can't find it.|computer|

I will keep looking for a solution which may never be found!

Andrew Mead
19-08-2008, 5:13 AM
Anyway just tried opening it in notepad and while I could read it, there are no line numbers.

If you have word, you can read in the text file, highlight all of it and add line numbers (see the help file - index and look for line - line numbers appears in the left hand column) (copy the gedcom file and rename it as *.txt first then open the text file so you don't save the wrong one in error!) Works might also have this facility, but I don't have it to check.
You could also count how many lines 'page down' moves you and work it out from how many times you hit it!

v.wells
19-08-2008, 3:47 PM
Andrew

33 lines per page - I forgot about the "page down":o and then proceeded to lose count of where I was but I will try the other. There are only 5 lines to be fixed if at all. Starts at 559, 3050,51,54 5303.

I went to A* help as it is an A* generated Ansi character set GEDCOM but they offered slightly better info but no help. I shall push onwards and try to figure it out, from your suggestion. Thanks:)

v.wells
19-08-2008, 4:45 PM
Andrew, thanks. I followed your directions and have written down the steps again in case it happens again. Although the numbering worked I couldn't really see a problem with the records when I went back in to edit. So it just may be FTM mentality, I don't know. I used Open office writer to do it. The help files were much more informative on the meaning of Tags, but I still don't get "Tag: Data, subordinated to wrong item, line ignored".:confused: