PDA

View Full Version : KITCHING

Kurust
17-08-2008, 3:20 PM
Hi
I am stuck. My great grandfather William Headlam Kitching (1866) left Norton in County Durham around 1892 for the USA. He left behind his wife and four children and never returned. I have looked on the Ellis Island records and he is not there. I have looked on the US census and the nearest I got was a William E Kitching born the same month and year and from England. This Kitching was married in America and had two children and the dates seemed to fit. I sent off for a birth cert from America to have a look. It came back with all the details the same apart from now it said fathers nationality was Irish. His wife was Irish so maybe she registered the child and said the father was Irish. I could not find any details of the other child a daughter. Any help or tips would be appreciated.
The family were not mentioned in the net few census records.
Thanks

MarkJ
17-08-2008, 3:35 PM
I found a Wm. Kitching on the Ellis Island records which could be him?

Date of arrival 28 April 1894
Age 24 listed as married
Ship - Lucania
Port of departure Liverpool

Mark

Kurust
17-08-2008, 3:48 PM
Thanks for your reply.
I saw this Wm. Kitching but I had some doubt about it being the same person as he would have been 4 years younger. But then perhaps he may have made the date up to make him seem younger. I don't know if there was an age limit for people who emigrated back then. Thanks for your help

David