PDA

View Full Version : Granny Kirby of Hampshire

JohnN
17-08-2008, 5:40 AM
Evening all!

Granny Kirby (my ggrandmother) had an interesting life. She was born Louisa Hewlett at King's Somborne, Hants, in 1861. She was a very small woman (short and stout in later years) with piercing blue eyes. Married John Hart, general labourer, in 1879. He died aged 41 in 1897. They produced 8 children and 18 months later Louisa had another - but that's another story...
In 1900 she married Thomas (Tom) Kirby, a shepherd, some 8 years younger than herself and said to be of intemperate and violent habits.
They divorced - but I've not been able to find out when this happened. They were still together at the time of the 1901 Census.
Louisa died some time around or after 1920 - but I've not been able to find out details. She would probably have been living somewhere around the Tytherley, Broughton or King's Somborne area.
Does anyone have any suggestions about the divorce or Granny Kirby's death?

Thanks

John
.._

Procat
17-08-2008, 5:48 AM
Hi John,

Findmypast has divorces to 1903 and she is not recorded there.

This page (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=53&j=1) may provide some guidance for you.

Squaredancer
17-08-2008, 6:55 PM
Hi

No idea on the divorce but found on Free BMD the death of a Louisa Kirby aged 63 in the June quarter of 1924 in Stockbridge, Hampshire.

Stockbridge covers all the areas you mentioned.

:)

JohnN
17-08-2008, 8:52 PM
That's Granny Kirby, sure enough!

Many thanks - I'm glad I asked!

Regards

John
.._

bumblebee
17-08-2008, 11:47 PM
There are two references on the National Archives Site (Catalogue Reference J77)

Appellant: James Thomas Kirby. Respondent: Louisa Maria Kirby. Co-respondent: George Cook. Type: Husband's petition for divorce [HD]. 1902

Appellant: James Thomas Kirby. Respondent: Louisa Kirby. Type: Husband's petition [HX]. 1904

Bumblebee

JohnN
18-08-2008, 1:41 AM
Marvellous!
Amazing what you learn, isn't it? Family lore always said that she divorced him because of his drinking - but it looks rather as if she was not altogether blameless! Must take a look into the meaning of the abbreviations (nisi and absolute, perhaps?) and also see what I can find out about her 'toy boy'!
Many thanks

John
.._

bumblebee
18-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi JohnN

It does not mean that the divorce records are definitely for your ggrandmother, they are just a couple of Kirby names around the correct time. Did she have a middle name of Maria? Further investigations are needed.

Bumblebee

JohnN
19-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the caveat, Bumblebee.

I came to the same conclusion after the initial excitement wore off and I took the time to find my reading glasses. There is no evidence at all that Tom or Louisa had middle names - so probably not the right people.

However, I've ordered a copy of Louisa's death cert - and that's a large step in the right direction!

John
.._