PDA

View Full Version : before the census - where now?

netti
15-08-2008, 10:18 AM
I have been searching for a long time to find the marriage of my ancestor William TUDGE to Mary.

They had 3 sons baptised at Worcester St Martin between 1804 and 1809 but were not married there. They do not appear in the Worcestershire marriage Index. William had died by 1841 but I have found his widow and children still in Worcester. She is still there in 1851 and gives her place of birth as Worcester. I have her death certificate from 1857 where it says she was widow of William TUDGE plumber. (Their son George also became a plumber)

The name TUDGE has a strong presence in Worcestershire and I was once under the opinion they must all be related! Recently I have been looking at the other Tudges to find clues to my own brickwall. One line in particular interests me because it carries similar forenames to my own line (George & Edward) which do not appear in the other lines I have looked at. There is a possible candidate for my William being born at Rock - not too far from Worcester. I have checked the burial records there and found a William buried 1774 but this could be his father (no age given then but children generally noted as such).

My question is - what other sources could readers recommend to try to prove one way or the other if the William born at Rock c1770 is the same as the William having children baptised at Worcester 1804-1809?

Wills in Worcestershire are indexed but I have not found any related to this line.

help please!

netti

ChristineR
16-08-2008, 6:26 AM
... other if the William born at Rock c1770 is the same as the William having children baptised at Worcester 1804-1809?

You have to keep going through the local records and find if this William married and /or had children baptized in Rock.
:)

netti
17-08-2008, 7:42 AM
Thanks Christine

I can't find William marrying at Rock. The only burial after his birth is the one I mentioned when he would have been 4 but I think that was his father - because a Susanna TUDGE married the next year (his mum was Susanna).The register does not say she is a widow but she was the only Susanna TUDGE in the village as far as I can tell.

hmmm I suppose William and his 2 baby sisters may have taken their stepfathers name for a while - what do you think? Writing this down has made me look at things differently!

I guess its back to the history centre again!

netti