PDA

View Full Version : Mc Knight

cazmac
14-08-2008, 11:21 PM
hi can anyone help my dad William Schofield Mc Knight born 23/03/1918 Cowdenbeath mum Elizabeth Mc Knight nee Murray dad Robert Dyet ( possibly Dyer) Mc KNight coalminer .They married 1916 in Ashton under Lynne Lancashire he was down as Coalminer.His dad David Mcknight have no other info except My dad had half brother Wilfred O' Reilly born august 1900 4th i think . At five years approx they moved to Crossgates . Is there anyone can help have dads birth certificate but i alredy knew all info on it .Tried census but nothing seems to fit .Do not know when my nan came over from Ireland or where she was born in1879.only know her dad was Patrick Murray and when she married Robert he was down as Privte in Welsh Fusiliers deceased .Were they from Scotland originally or moved due to war don't know help !!! going crazy cazmac

bumblebee
14-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Just trying to sort the family out, is this the marriage for McKnight and O'Reilly,

Robert D McKnight, 1916 Q4 Elizabeth O'Reilly Ashton under lyne,
Volume: 8d
Page: 746

So Elizabeth's maiden name was Murray, she then married an O'Reilly and had your Father's half brother sometime around 1900 and then married Robert McKnight in 1916 and had your Father in 1918.

In 1916 when Elizabeth married Robert her father was stated as Patrick Murray, Private in Welsh Fusiliers (deceased)

Bumblebee

bumblebee
14-08-2008, 11:43 PM
There is a possible birth registration for Wilfrid but I have no idea if it is the right one. - Wilfrid O'Reilly, 1906 Q3 Ormskirk, Lancashire, 8b 883

Also a marriage for a Henry Patrick O'Reilly, 1905 Q3 Ormskirk, Lancashire, 8b 1434 - there is an Elizabeth Murray on the same page (with others Richard Sutton and Elizabeth Ann Aston)

Bumblebee

bumblebee
15-08-2008, 12:36 AM
There is a pension record on a pay per view site which has a Robert McKnight, born Cowdenbeath, a Miner, Mother is Mrs David Mcknight, her address is something like Wemyss Cottage, Wemyss Street, Cowdenbeath, Fifeshire. He had a shrapnel wound to the ankle. He was released in 1918 'for coal mining' and gives his name on his own statement as Robert Dyer Mcknight (could be Dyet hard to read) so I think it is your man. He worked at the Foydell or Fowdell Coal Company Limited, Foy(w)dell Fifeshire.

Further reading I would say his middle name is Dyet. He lived at 382 Westbroad? Street, Cowdenbeath on his 'first award' paper.

Taking his army number from the above papers, this is his medal card on The National Archive Site.

McKnight, Robert
King's Own Scottish Borderers 18758 Private
Royal Defence Corps 84083 Private
King's Own Scottish Borderers 48708 Private

Bumblebee

bumblebee
15-08-2008, 12:55 AM
This is just a stab in the dark at the 1901 census.

Beath
63 Arthur St

Hall Bauld 18 Lodger
Alexander Kidd 21
Andrew McKnight 11
David McKnight 46 Platelayer Railway. born Longridge.
David McKnight 3
Farnyy McKnight 16
Isabella McKnight 5
Janet McKnight 37
Janet McKnight 8
Maria McKnight 14
Robert McKnight 9 born Binnend, Fife
William McKnight 10mo

Parish: Beath; ED: 10; Line: 6; Year: 1901

Bumblebee

bumblebee
15-08-2008, 1:01 AM
I would be tempted to purchase the birth certificate for Wilfrid and the marriage for Henry Patrick O'Reilly and see if he did marry Elizabeth Murray. Quite a coincidence the two events occuring in Ormskirk - a birth of a Wilfred and a possible marriage.

Bumblebee

cazmac
16-08-2008, 8:00 AM
hi bumblebee how can i thank you the info on Robert looks promising ,i dont think there are many people with middle name Dyet . My Wilfred was definitely Born 1900 as he was born on the same day as the Queen's mother but could be mistranscribed . i live in hope but will send for certs .many thanks Caz

bumblebee
17-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Hi Cazmac

Well fingers crossed, there are a couple of Wilfred Murrays born in 1900 in the lancashire, Northumberland area. Although I am only checking on Freebmd and not the full index.

Bumblebee

cazmac
17-08-2008, 8:45 PM
hi bumblebee not checked this yet but the 1901 census came up trumps have roberts birth cert also davids and marriage certs for david to Janet Dyet ! so thats where roberts middle name came from. this also gives us his dads and mums names i'm still following this line 1861 census has Andrew McKnight born County Down Ireland as does Maria his wife so all roads seem to lead to Ireland .How can i thank you afraid to say i got a bit emotional this side had me pulling my hair out . thanks again carol

cazmac
11-09-2008, 9:05 PM
hi bumblebee have been away thanks again for your help .can you tell me which site you used to find info on Robert Mc Knight my subscription to ancestry has run out and am looking to see which site is going to be the most help to me .I am hoping the rumours are true that irish records are going to be put online ,mind you wouldn't mind a short break to Ireland thanks again

cazmac

bumblebee
11-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Hi Cazmac

Pleased to have been of help.

I found the information on ancestry, I am not very good at Irish Research although I do use the IFHF site.

Good excuse for a trip, hope you have continued success with your research.

Bumblebee

cazmac
29-10-2008, 9:22 PM
Hi bumble bee just aquick update 1905 marriage between henry patrick O'Reilly and Elizabeth Murray spot on now sending for Wilfreds Birth cert thanks again for your help . I must say its a lot cheaper on Scotlands people than in England but all roads lead to Ireland i know some come from County Down but no town names but all things come to those who wait or should that be patience is a virtue .No it should be where would we be without the help from kind strangers who willingly give up their time to help . many thanks Caz

bumblebee
30-10-2008, 5:05 PM
Hi Caz,

Thank you for the update, I am pleased that the research is progressing well. Looks like a holiday in Ireland could well be on the cards. Good luck with the rest of the research.

Bumblebee