PDA

View Full Version : adamson

Bev Nevin
12-08-2008, 11:21 PM
All i have on Thomas Adamson ( got off LDS) is he was born in Antrim.
I have being trying to find when he came to Australia. He was born 1831 and married Elizabeth Robertson in 1851 in Australia.
That is all i have.
I know there are a lot of towns (do they call them towns) in County Antrim
But i don't know where else to go

Frustrated

Elwyn Soutter
13-08-2008, 8:04 PM
Not sure how much help I can give you. I live in Co Antrim. Yes we have town here. The county town is also called Antrim, so your first problem is did your ancestor come from the town of Antrim or the County of Antrim. Antrim town in 1831 would have been pretty small, so statistically it's more likely he came from Co Antrim. It's largely agricultural (especially so in 1831) so he probably came from a rural area, rather than a town. His family, typically might have been weavers or subsistence farmers.

Statutory registering of births didn't start till 1864 in Ireland so you won't get a formal birth certificate for him. His birth might be in a parish register if you can track down the correct parish and church, and the registers have survived.

The surname suggest he was a protestant but even that leaves various options (Church of Ireland, Presbyterian etc)

I looked in the local telephone directory and there are about 15 Adamsons in it spread all over Co Antrim. It's clearly still a common enough name.

Perhaps if you can find the record of his arrival in Oz, which was probably 1848-1850, you may be able to get more info about exactly where he came from. (One of my ancestors was transported, and the records in Sydney, from 1831, were excellent, and provided a lot of info about her life back here).

If you find out where he came from, I'll take some photos of what's there now and send them to you.

Elwyn

ChristineR
14-08-2008, 12:57 PM
All i have on Thomas Adamson ( got off LDS) is he was born in Antrim.
I have being trying to find when he came to Australia. He was born 1831 and married Elizabeth Robertson in 1851 in Australia.
That is all i have.
I know there are a lot of towns (do they call them towns) in County Antrim
But i don't know where else to go

Frustrated

Does his death certificate suggest a time frame - they usually say how long someone has been living in the colonies. If this places his arrival at a very young age, then his whole family may have arrived.

Which State in Australia did he marry and live in?
:)

Bev Nevin
15-08-2008, 12:09 AM
I have just found out Thomas Adamson was from County Down.
I have info that his father was born about 1788 and came to Aust. 1858.
His father is also Thomas Adamson and mothers name is Margaret Mills they had 11 children all born in Ireland.

I hope this enough

Regards Bev

ps I was in Ireland 2006 for my son's wedding his wife is Irish and we were in Carlow for the wedding. They settled in NZ butare now in Spain, my son is a wine grower.
Ireland is a beautiful place i would like to go again.

mykin
10-09-2008, 3:30 PM
I was told that the Irish census for 1901 and 1911 will finally be online by late October. It will be free, and it's about time!