PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell?

sindylin
12-08-2008, 10:23 PM
How can you tell what Non conformist religion someone was?
I have the parish register entry for an ancestor's baptism (So I presume not a Baptist as they don't beleive in child baptisms)

that leaves quite a few to choose from, are there any clues????

thanks
sindylin

bobby
12-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Catholic Registers have latin headings

sindylin
12-08-2008, 11:25 PM
They aren't catholics, perhaps I should have written what is at the top of the page of entries:-

"Register of the Baptisms solemnised in the congregation of Protestant Dissenters called Independents"

Religion isn't my strong point....(you can tell can't you?)

michaelpipe
13-08-2008, 12:09 AM
Where do these baptisms take place, and at what time?

Michael

Guy Etchells
13-08-2008, 6:10 AM
Independents were Methodists
Cheers
Guy

Peter Goodey
13-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Independents were Methodists

I don't think so.

They were congregationalists. See the modern day United Reformed Church.

The chapels are listed under the name "Independent" in the National Archives catalogue (RG 4 for example).

Mutley
13-08-2008, 1:22 PM
Just as a matter of interest, I googled "Independent Religion", loads came up but most of them I could not even pronounce.

When googling "Protestant Dissenters called Independents" there are far less.
British History Online has an article here (http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43361)and if you wind down to the bottom and click Protestant Dissent it lists quite a few chapels of different denominations.

Peter Goodey
13-08-2008, 2:35 PM
As I half suggested above, searching the National Archives catalogue with a search term of 'independent' and series code RG 4 will list the chapels. The questioner may be able to identify the chapel in question from the list.

I think perhaps the questioner may not have realised that 'Independent' was actually the name of the denomination.

sindylin
13-08-2008, 6:08 PM
The Chapel concerned is the Horsham Independent Chapel, Horsham. West Sussex. The baptisms were in 1827

Sindylin

Jan1954
13-08-2008, 6:15 PM
If you google "Horsham Independent Chapel" you will hit a website where it is being advertised as for sale. It is listed as "Former Jireh Independent Baptist Chapel" with hyperlinks to further information.

Peter Goodey
13-08-2008, 6:42 PM
The Independents weren't Baptists. I doubt that the "Independent Baptist Chapel" is the same as the "Independent Chapel".

The questioner quoted the title as the "Congregation of Protestant Dissenters called Independents"

sindylin
13-08-2008, 7:11 PM
Thanks Jan, Have replied to your PM too.

June Harvey
26-02-2010, 8:49 PM
The Chapel concerned is the Horsham Independent Chapel, Horsham. West Sussex. The baptisms were in 1827

Sindylin

Sindylin: You don't mention the family surname . Some of my lot had connections with the Jireh Independent Baptist Chapel in Horsham.
June

sindylin
26-02-2010, 9:59 PM
Hi June,

My lot are called Shaw. Any relation to your lot? :biggrin5:

sindylin

sindylin
26-02-2010, 10:04 PM
I don't think so.

They were congregationalists. See the modern day United Reformed Church.

The chapels are listed under the name "Independent" in the National Archives catalogue (RG 4 for example).

Meant to say, It was on TNA RG4 series where I found the parish record entries.

June Harvey
27-02-2010, 5:57 PM
Sorry, Sindylin, mine are LAKERs. No SHAWs to be seen in my line.

June

Peter Goodey
27-02-2010, 7:00 PM
To avoid any possible confusion, in genealogy, the term "parish registers" always refers to Church of England parishes (in England, of course).

In fact the title of series RG 4 mentioned above specifically uses the term non-parochial registers (non-parochial = not parish)