PDA

View Full Version : David Jakeman & Julia Connelly, married Birmingham 1872

Donald NZ
11-01-2005, 2:44 AM
Looking for any information on:
David William Jakeman, born 07 Feb 1830, England. Died, 06 February 1918 at Waikato Hospital, Hamilton, New Zealand. Age 88yrs.

Married on 10 Nov 1872 in St. Peters Church, Digibeth, Birmingham, England, to.

Julia Connelly, born about 1846. Died on 28 November 1911, at her residence in, Gt.South Rd., Huntly, New Zealand, age 66yrs.

They immigrated to New Zealand in 1874, on the sailing ship “Assaye”

Children were; Anne, Alice, William, Thomas, Ellen, Francis and Henry. All born over the period 1873 to 1899, and initially lived in Huntly, New Zealand.

David’s parents were:
William Jakeman, born 07 February 1797. Died 30 March 1871, age 74 years and his wife; Marriar Burd, born 22 December 1801. Died 21 August1863, age 62 years.

Any information will be most appreciated.
Donald
NZ

janbooth
11-01-2005, 10:21 AM
Hello Donald,

Here are William and Mary on the LDS 1851 census transcript of Warwicks:

William JAKEMAN Head M 54 M Farm Lab Morton Baggot-War
Maria JAKEMAN Wife M 48 F Labs Wife Alton End Solihull-War
Elizabeth JAKEMAN Daur - 10 F Scholar Yardley-Wor

Address: Bottom Of Wharf Lane Near Acocks Green Warwick Rd, ---
Census Place: Yardley Solihull, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2071 Folio: 49 Page: 8 FHL Film: 0087335

I can't find your David, but there is this David JAKEMAN who was born in the same place as William, so could perhaps be a sibling??

David JAKEMAN Head M 51 M Boiler Maker Morton Baggot-War
Jane JAKEMAN Wife M 43 F Mu...low-Hrt
James JAKEMAN Son U 21 M Engine Cleaner Kings Norton-Wor
Martha JAKEMAN Daur U 16 F Handsworth-Stf
Mary A. JAKEMAN Daur - 14 F Handsworth-Stf
William JAKEMAN Son - 11 M Scholar Birmm-War
Henry JAKEMAN Son - 6 M Scholar Aston-War
John JAKEMAN Son - 3 M Scholar Aston-War

Address: Crane Moors, Aston
Census Place: Aston Aston, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2062 Folio: 368 Page: 24 FHL Film: 0087320

Sorry not to have been of more help.

Janet

Donald NZ
24-01-2005, 12:52 AM
Hello Janet
Thank you for your response and information, to both this and the Birmingham forum
Your information confirms their residential address in 1851 plus where Elizabeth was born. It is interesting to check the name of William’s wife, which I had down as Marriar Burd.
I am now curious to know where were other family members, Mary age 12, Henry age 15 and Betsey age 16 as only Elizabeth was with them on the night of the census. As usual, every extra bit of information adds more questions.
The David Jakeman you have listed is younger brother to William. Up until your listing I did not have a name on who David had married, let alone all his family.
So thanks again Janet for the info
Donald
NZ

janbooth
24-01-2005, 3:22 PM
Hello again Donald,

Could this be your Betsy JAKEMAN. The age is slightly out but she was born in Yardley:

William BALDWIN Head M 28 M Gun Finisher Maker J Birmingham----
Anne BALDWIN Wife M 24 F Shopkeeper (Provision) Birmingham----
Eliza BALDWIN Daur - 4 F Birmingham----
Eleanor BALDWIN Daur - 1 F Birmingham----
Betsy JAKEMAN Serv U 18 F House Servt Yardley-Wor

Address: 10 Unett Street, Birmingham
Census Place: Birmingham Birmingham, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2058 Folio: 528 Page: 5 FHL Film: 0332120

No luck with Henry or Mary, I'm afraid.

Donald NZ
25-01-2005, 7:50 AM
Hello Jan
Quite likely, she would have probably put up her age, particularly to give confidence to her employer when looking after a couple of very young children.

Thanks again Jan for your input.
Donald

janbooth
25-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Donald,

I had a quick look on the IGI for William's baptism just in case he was there and there is a record of a William JACKMAN, father Richard mother Mary baptised 26 February 1797 in Morton Baggot which sounds promising. There is also a record for David, father Richard mother Mary born 18 April 1799 and baptised 28 April 1799 again in Morton Baggot plus at least 2 Johns, a Mary and an Alice. Sounds well worth investigating!!

Janet.

Donald NZ
26-01-2005, 7:31 AM
Hi Janet
You sure are a stirling support to the forum, and definitely to me. I have checked out and have IGI’s on all the family up until my current ancestry impasse of Richard Jakeman, born Great Bedwyn, Wiltshire, England in1759, died 1833 at Morton Baggot, Warwickshire, England and his wife Mary Lamsdale, born 11 Jan 1752 at Bromsgrove, Worcester, England, although I do know her parents names were Richard and Mary Lamsdale.
What I did find interesting was Richard’s surname was Jakeman, Betty his first born in 1787 was Jaqueman and all other children were Jackman.

Thanks again Janet for your input
Donald
NZ

mnjones
23-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Donald
I came across your thread on British Genealogy about David Jakeman and I think he is my Great Grandmothers Uncle. Her name was Alice Jakeman and she and her sister Betsy emigrated to NZ about 1875. All your information stacks up with what I have learnt so far re parents and place of birth. Are you related to David Jakeman?

Julia Harrison
12-10-2009, 12:55 AM
Hi There My Name Is Julia Harrison
I Am 18 years Of Age
My Father Is Rex John Harrison
My Grandmother Is Julia Kathleen Mary Harrison Maiden Name Brooks (known as Kath )
And My Great Grandmother Is Ellen Nee Brooks Maiden Name Jakeman .
My Father Has The Family Tree At Home But She Is The Sister To Alice Jakeman I Think.. If Somebody Could Please Tell Me More And Whether Or Not We Have a family crest or coat of arms .
thanks

Nicolina
12-10-2009, 2:03 AM
here's the 1841 Census info:
HO107/1198/20/27 Page 14
Acock's Green, Yardley
JAKEMAN, William M 45 1796 not born in County
JAKEMAN, Maria F 40 1801 not born in County
JAKEMAN, David M 10 1831 not born in County
JAKEMAN, Elizh F 7 1834 b. Worcestershire
JAKEMAN, Henry M 5 1836 b. Worcestershire
JAKEMAN, Mary F 3 1838 b. Worcestershire
JAKEMAN, Eliza F 0 (4 months) 1841 b. Worcestershire

REXJOHN
13-10-2009, 8:18 PM
My daughter, Julia, brought this site to my notice a few days ago.
I find the information fascinating. It's difficult to ascertain just which Jakeman is which but it may be safe to assume that any Jakeman within the Acocks Green village and Birmingham area in the 1870s was in someway related. My own connection is a very direct one and easy to track. My mother, Kath (Julia Kathleen Mary) and her brother Tony were the children of Ellen Brooks, maiden name Jakeman. Ellen's brothers and sisters were all in Huntly for awhile. Alice moved south at some point. I'm not sure about the men without checking our family tree. One of the brothers married into Maori and the Jakeman name has been carried through into Tangata Whenua. We had a Reunion in 1984 at the Waiuku marae where several hundred people attended. A lot of the older people have passed away, including Dave and Bill and Frank Jakeman. Frank was in the Maori Battalion in WW2 and has a small park named in his memory in Waiuku. I have fond memories of all of them.
I still have some handed down items, including a silk shirt (which fits me!) and a pith helmet from the Indian Army. My father handed a lot of stuff to the Huntly Museum before he died, so they are now in possession of it, unfortunately.

REXJOHN
13-10-2009, 8:35 PM
Donald, as far as I'm aware we have no Scots in the family - not directly anyway!! Julia was Irish, of course. The Connollys moved to the USA at some point and settled initially in Yonkers, New York. My grandmother kept up a semi-regular correspondence with them right up until the 1920s, according to my mother. By the way, the family home is still in Huntly - a standard villa-style house. I saw its exact twin being advertised in an Ellerslie real estate shop window earlier this year!
Are you connected to the Jakeman family? Or is your interest purely academic?

mnjones
14-10-2009, 4:14 AM
My great grandmother Alice Jane Jakeman was the daughter of Betsy Jakeman, who was the daughter of William and Maria (nee bird) Jakeman. I think, but am not sure, that David & Julia Jakeman were her uncle and aunt. I have seen their names on the "Assaye" ship list, but cannot find her or her sister betsy on any shipping list. Her death certificate gives acocks green as her birthplace, so it is likely they are all related somehow. Her death certificate gives her years in nz as arriving approx 1875. I assumed that perhaps she and her sister followed their uncle and aunt out, but have no proof. She and her sister were both illegitimate. She married James Marshall of Wanganui and her sister married Hugh Knight Whittington, who became a mayor of Hawera. Would love to know if any others have any more info on these two.

phuntly
15-11-2009, 10:04 PM
Hi,

I read with interest your message re the above. Hugh Knight Whittington was my great great uncle and you will find a lot more info about him at:- wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=phuntly&id=I1190

Like you I have not been able to find any information on the arrival of Betsy and her sister in New Zealand but do know she married Hugh K Whittington on 13 Feb 1879 in Wanganui.

Regards

Peter Huntly

phuntly
15-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Find info below on Betsy the sister of Alice:-

WHITTINGTON, BETSY MERIA (sic) nee JAKEMAN was born in 1857 at Warwick, England, the daughter of Charles and Betsy Jakeman. Betsy came to New Zealand in 1875, and married Hugh Knight Whittington, a bricklayer, in 1879. In 1880 they moved to Hawera where Hugh set up in business, and served on the Hawera Borough Council for many years. Betsy died on the 24 March 1920 and is buried in the Hawera cemetery.

Donald NZ
14-01-2012, 8:19 PM
This is a quick catchup - It is several years since I was researching Jakeman, my apologies for not keeping in touch with this thread. I was researching on behalf of a friend so Jakeman is not part of my lineage and I am now currently without all my old research. However it seems my initial posting has assembled information that is benefit to other Jakeman descendants, who have read these posts. I can always get my access to my old research should there be a query I might have had research information on.

I notice the most recent posting is from Peter (phuntly) and states WHITTINGTON, BETSY MERIA (sic) nee JAKEMAN was born in 1857 at Warwick, England, the daughter of Charles and Betsy Jakeman.

My recollection and from some notes I have kept copies of, is that Betsy Meria and her older sister Alice Jane were daughters of Elizabeth (Betsey) Jakeman who was born 31 May 1834, being the daughter of William and Maria and it was through daughter Elizabeth (Betsey) Jakeman that their surname was derived. I do not recall having a father name for them, so had assumed they were both probably illegitimate children. I know I had no Charles Jakeman as father to Betsy Meria and Alice Jane Jakeman.
I also note a posting of “mnjones” that states Betsy Meria and Alice Jane were illegitimate which ties in with my recollection and notes.

Peter, can you enlighten the participants of this Jakeman thread where you found the father information relating to Betsy Meria and verification of his surname

Re Julia: Found on one of my notes is that the birth record is spelt Julia Cathlean Mary, born 21/08/1908, whereas the death record shows Julia Cathleen Mary born 21 October 1908. The recorded birth record of 21/08/1908 will be the more accurate as it is quite probable the person filling in the death record made a mistake. I have seen many mistakes relating to death even recorded wrongly on headstones.

I did not record Julia’s, marriage but it would appear she married late in life
Kind regards and happy New Year to all those persons who have contributed to this Jakeman thread.
Donald
NZ

phuntly
16-01-2012, 5:33 PM
Following the latest posting I agree that Betsy was illegitimate. I am not sure why I stated what I said previously and can only put it down to a mistake. In fact I now have Betsy's birth certificate which does not name a father.

If you go to the New Zealand, Immigration Passenger Lists, 1855-1973 on the new Family Search website you will find details of when Betsy arrived in NZ in 1875.

Regards

Peter

Darcey Slaughte
13-03-2012, 7:43 PM
Hi, I have a copy of the marriage bond for William Jakeman and Maria Bird in Saint Martin in the Bull Ring in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England. They were married October 2, 1821 in the presence of Richard Jakeman (probably his father) and Elizabeth Bird (probably her mother). Maria was baptized in Solihull, Warwickshire, England January 4, 1802, the daughter of John Bird and Elizabeth his wife. Her brother, John Bird, is my ancestor and he left England in 1855 moving to the United States where he died in route to Utah.

BerghClan
11-08-2013, 8:33 AM
Hello....Im a very new newcomer to this site and saw your question. l live in South Africa.

The Maori branch of this family are living in Franklyn, Waiuku on North Island. My parents lived in Franklyn for years, my brother still lives there, and while visiting them Im met these Jakemans...lovely people. By coincidence my mother is also a Jakeman.....although born in the UK and not related. Julia Jakeman was the district midwife for years and rode around delivering babies on a huge horse. I do have a book given to me by one of these Jakemans so if you have any questions l may be able to help. Regards Helen Bergh

helachau
11-08-2013, 7:02 PM
David Jakeman married Julia Connelly November 1872

1871 Census (RG10 3188 35 1)
David Jakeman, Head, Marr, 40, labourer, b. Yardley
Mary Ann Jakeman, Wife, Marr, 33, no birthplace details recorded

Address - Warwick Road, Yardley
Registration District - Solihull

FreeBMD Deaths - Mary Ann Jakeman, age 33, Jun 1872, Solihull, 6d 274