PDA

View Full Version : Rippon

stuart_rippon
11-01-2005, 1:28 AM
With help fromm other family members we are researching the rippon family tree. The family lived in Crowland for some time and there appears to be the single famly in that location although there are a number of other groupings in surrounding villages. We have had some luck is getting back to William rippon (or rippin) born abt 1772. However I have found a female rippon born in 1663 (no christian name) and a second Katherine born in 1664 father of both is Tho Rippin. And help in linking these to William would be much appreciated.

Peter Goodey
11-01-2005, 9:08 AM
According to GenUKI for Crowland "Anglican parish registers exist from 1639, although bishop's transcripts go back to 1561."

Have you worked through both of these?

stuart_rippon
11-01-2005, 11:06 AM
My cousin has tried but there is a lot of damage and it's hard to interpret them. I picked up Katherine and the other female plus Tho Rippon from the internet so I guess someone has had more success with that register than us. I now live in hampshire so physical records are harder for me to get access to.

Peter Goodey
11-01-2005, 11:29 AM
A fresh pair of eyes sometimes works wonders!

The Society of Genealogists Library has the parish registers on microfilm and the Mormons have the registers and the Bishop's Transcripts. They can be ordered through any mormon FHC. See the online catalogue at -
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

It's often best to look at both the original registers and the BTs because they be in a different state of preservation and one may be more readable than the other.