PDA

View Full Version : tried to order marriage cert

cirstybewick
11-08-2008, 2:48 PM
hello it's me again lol
i tried to order a marriage cert of a william albert fletcher to a ada davies 1912 but i don't know the actuall day they got married what do i do????

MarkJ
11-08-2008, 2:53 PM
This has been explained in the earlier thread :) You do not need the actual date of the marriage - you won't know that until you get the certificate.

Have a read at what Geoffers put in this thread -

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=185138&postcount=12

which should help you to order the certificate. Earlier in the same thread Jill gave the details for the reference numbers you need.

I have found a William A Fletcher married a Davies in Liverpool December Quarter 1912 volume 8b page 79

Mark

cirstybewick
11-08-2008, 2:55 PM
yes i have just relised that when i re-read the other thread lol
i think i need a rest from all this lol
kind regards
cirsty

Marie C..
11-08-2008, 6:01 PM
Cirsty,
The first time I ordered a cert from GRO my hands shook and it seemed very difficult.... but it isn't. You fill in the information in the places they say. All you need is the name, place and reference number which someone has already found for you. Then you need to fill in the details regarding payment.
Then you sit back and wait for cert. to arrive.
It will give you the other partner of the marriage , place, the date and the fathers of bride and grooms names and occupations. It will also give you ages of the husband and wife.
If it just says "full age" then that means they were over 21.
It will give names of wintesses and with luck these might be family members.
Each certificate you order after that whether birth, death or marriage will be easier but in each case you need the GRO number because otherwise it costs more.
All certs are useful. Sometimes they can be very surprising.
Family research is a journey beginning, like all journeys, with the first step. Enjoy it!
Marie