PDA

View Full Version : Inskip Shefford Hardwick

lesleys
11-08-2008, 2:16 PM
Does anyone have Thomas(c1800) & Harriet (c1796) Inskip in 1841? with sons Thomas b 1822 and William 1832 and daughters Harriet 1819 and Lucy 1830. in 1851 he is widowed, living at Great Hardwick with William & Lucy

ChristineR
12-08-2008, 2:39 AM
What are the birthplaces as recorded in the 1851 census please?
:)

lesleys
12-08-2008, 7:57 AM
Thomas 1800 Bromham, Lucy 1830 Shefford, William 1832 Shefford

ChristineR
12-08-2008, 11:51 AM
The only Thomas Inskip who shows in Shefford (according to A*y) is aged 58, and a watchmaker. His wife is Isabella, and the two children with your Thomas in 1851 are not in that family. The images are very faint, illegible in fact, but the index had been corrected by a person who must know the family.

So yours could be there on an unreadable page.

Why not try contacting someone from the one name study (online, plus a forum for same) to see if they have some information that will help.
:)

davidcarca
12-08-2008, 2:41 PM
Thomas's age in 1851 is 57, not 51, despite what Ancestry says.

In 1841
HO107/3/5 page 25
Shefford Hardwick, Great & Little Hardwick Extra Parochial, parish of Campton
Thomas Inskip 45 Farmer
Harriet Inskip 22
Thomas Inskip 20
William Inskip 10
George Inskip 8
All born in Beds

I found them on my CDrom set (which is quite legible incidentally), then later found them on Ancestry indexed as Jaskip.

The only Harriet Inskip burial that I can see is at Old Warden on 13 Oct 1843 age 49, but I can't see her in 1841. Very odd. I'll continue working on her!

William b 1832 married Jane Streeter in 1860, and Jane's memoirs and those of their son William were published in vol 59 (1980) of the Bedfordshire Historical Record Society. The Inskips were pretty seriously non-conformist

Which of Thomas and Harriet's children interest you?

David

lesleys
12-08-2008, 3:12 PM
Thanks David that's great - I had a feeling it must be on one of those very faded pages. I had assumed Harriet died before 1841 - The daughter married her cousin Thomas Swannell (Son of Elizabeth Swannell & Thomas Joseph Hine of Milton Ernest) There were several Inskip-Swannell marriages around that time.
L:)

davidcarca
12-08-2008, 5:17 PM
William H Inskip born c1863, son of William and Jane had this to say in his memoirs:

Shefford Hardwicke .... consists of a farm of some 350 acres with the farm house and a few small cottages. The property forms part of the estate of the Whitbread Family of Southill House, and in the year 1816 my grandfather, Thomas Inskip, became the tenant of the house and farm. He died in 1859 and an obituary notice of his life appeared in the "Wesleyan Methodist Magazine" of November 1859.

The articles don't contain any other references to Thomas and Harriet, which is unfortunate as I can't find their marriage. Still looking!

Jane Street (not Streeter as I typed earlier) was also from a non-conformist family and two of her father's sisters also married Swannells.

David

lesleys
13-08-2008, 8:43 AM
Hi David,:)
Thanks for the extra information - I cant find the marriage either, but Harriet is mentioned as "wife of THos Inskip" in her grandfather's will.
She had (among many others) a brother Samuel and sister Elizabeth. Samuel's son Charles married his cousin Hannah Laura Hine grand-daughter of Elizabeth. They were my father-in law's grandparents. If this doesn't seem many generations I can tell you that longevity runs in the family! Samuel's wife was Mary Ann Street, sister(?) of Jane who married William Inskip. and another sister Sarah Ann married George, the youngest of the Swannell siblings!
To continue the inter marrying, Harriet (daughter of Thos & Harriet Inskip) and Thomas Swannell-Hine had a daughter Helen, who married her cousin Alfred Leonard Hine, grandson of the above Elizabeth.
A lot of the information I have came from a tree drafted in the 60s by Helen's son. I am still working on verifying some of it and have unearthed a few discrepancies/inaccuracies and plenty of extra information. The children of William Inskip and Jane Street are on the edge so to speak.
The Methodist influence was strong on the Hine side too. Hannah Laura's sister married a Methodist minister as did her aunt Elizabeth and a grand-daughter. One of her daughters was a missionary in China.
Lesley

davidcarca
13-08-2008, 12:00 PM
So Harriet was a Swannell?

The introduction to the memoirs states that the sisters of Jane Street's father, Thomas, both married Swannells; Sarah Street married George Swannell of Filgrove Bucks in Sept 1824; and Mary Ann Street married Samuel Swannell of Felmersham at Pavenham in 17 Dec 1824. I can't see George's marriage, but if he was from Bucks, perhaps that's where Harriet married Thomas?

JP - do these Swannells link into your Martha from Pavenham?

David

lesleys
13-08-2008, 3:37 PM
Martha who married Thomas Partridge was their aunt, daughter of William swannell (1729-1807) and Martha Wright. Her brother William (1760-1825) was their father. Filgrove is part of Tyringham, only just into Bucks

JPBeds
14-08-2008, 7:13 AM
Lesley,

(1) There's a lot of info in the Partridge-Swannell document I emailed you yesterday about the Inskips & their link to family of William Swannell 1760 of Felmersham who married Mary Pancoust at Tyringham..

(2) In the BHRS vol 70 Beds Clock & Watchmakers there is info on 3 generations of Inskips of Shefford (as mentioned by ChristineR) This Thomas b 1780 was son of Edward & Mary of Kimbolton. If its relevant I can let you have a copy.

Cheers John

lesleys
14-08-2008, 8:38 AM
I think Thomas the watchmaker was from a different branch although they were probably connected further back. As far as I remember it was a descendant of his who became the first viscount Caldecot. Always interested to see any, even remotely, interesting information.

JPBeds
14-08-2008, 3:12 PM
Thomas Inskip was baptised Bromham 26/01/1794 son of Thomas & Elizabeth.

They also baptised Elizabeth 29/06/1789 & Mary 04/10/1790.
There are 2 entries for Lucy, daughter of Mrs Eliz Inskip on 12/09/1794 & 12/09/1796 - so what's really correct ?

Thomas Inskip & Elizabeth Norman have an extracted marriage on 31/01/1782 at Haynes but there are a few member submissions for Thomas Inskip to Elizabeth Norman on 30/01/1782 at Bromham.

I will check the PR in the local library when I can - but I'm off to York this weekend for a walk in the rain, no doubt. It'll have to be the next week end.

cheers John - of Bromham

davidcarca
14-08-2008, 8:33 PM
Haynes transcript reads
Marriage 31 Jan 1782 Thomas Inskip bachelor of Bromham and Elizabeth Norman spinster otp by licence

Enjoy the rain John

David

JPBeds
14-08-2008, 8:52 PM
hello David - once of Bromham - thanks for that

I hope the weather in Carcasonne is a bit more favourable

JPBeds
27-08-2008, 6:01 AM
The Bromham PR does have 2 baptism entries for Lucy Inskip.
The first 12 Sep1794 says daughter to Mrs Eliz Inskip, widow
The second just says daughter of Mrs Eliz Inskip

There is burial of John Inskip, labourer, pauper on Feb 10 1794

& marriage on 16 Feb 1797 of John Rogers to Eliz Inskip, widow by licence
The marriage licence index shows a William Campion, surgeon of Bedford stood surety.

PatB
01-09-2008, 4:49 PM
Hi JP, see you have bit of info concerning Thomas Inskip, watchmaker of Shefford. My great x 3 grandfather. I was the one who corrected record on A*y.com. Interested in your earlier post where you say 'This Thomas b 1780 was son of Edward and Mary of Kimbolton.' I havent been able to trace his parents. Do you know the sources for his parentage?
Any info appreciated...and I'm thrilled to see Thomas Inskip on these posts!
Pat

JPBeds
02-09-2008, 6:13 AM
from the BHRS volume 70. Thomas Inskip (1780-1849) son of Edward & Mary, born at Kimbolton, baptised 16 June 1780. recorded as being in Shefford in 1813 when he cleaned Flitton church clock. Was a widower when he married Isabella Wright by licence on 18 Aug 1815. Three children baptised at Campton cum Shefford 1816-1824 including son Hampden on 27 Dec 1816.

There are 2 pages of info on these Inskips, but no further details of Thomas's parents. You need to check out the Kimbolton parish records for a possible marriage or other baptisms of siblings.

regards John

PatB
02-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Thank you so much! Knew about Son Hampden and two daughters, Martha and Isabella. Did you know that he was quite well known. Archaeologist (collection was in Fitzwilliam in Cambridge), poet (British library have his poem 'Cant'...over 100 pages - I have copy), friend to both Robert Bloomfield (who he's buried next to) and John Clare. Has been fascinating doing the research but was really stuck...your info has helped me out a great deal. I'll check the Kimbolton records.
thanks and kind regards
Pat