PDA

View Full Version : Portland stone masons

Limeywesty
10-08-2008, 6:06 PM
Curious whether there are any records or groups relating to Portland stone quarries that may have information relevant to researching individuals (masons) working in the quarries.

I'm hunting down a C19th stone mason, Thomas Newman.

Colin Moretti
11-08-2008, 8:21 AM
Why not try one of the Portland libraries?
http://www.dorsetforyou.com/index.jsp?articleid=386779
or
http://www.dorsetforyou.com/index.jsp?articleid=386778

Even if they don't have the information they are likely to be able to point you in the right direction.

Colin

billysax
11-08-2008, 10:23 AM
There's a family of Newmans living, in 1841, at No. 5 Paragon, Portland

William Newman 33 Seaman, born Dorset.
Anne Newman 32 born Dorset.
Sarah Newman 11 "
Anne Newman 7 "
William Newman 5 "
Thomas Newman 3 "
Robert Newman 1 "

I got this information from the excellent "Dorset on-line Parish Clerks " project, Portland page. The 1851 and 1861 censuses are also transcribed but I haven't time just now to go through them. Hope this helps, Billy.

billysax
11-08-2008, 6:54 PM
Looking further into this Thomas Newman reveals that he became a carpenter/cabinet maker. After moving to Weymouth he eventually ended up in Tranmere on the Wirral, so probably not the one you seek.
There are a few other Newmans on the Portland censuses of 1851,61 and 71 but no other Thomases. If he worked in the quarries he was more likely to be listed as a quarryman rather than a mason I would have thought.

Limeywesty
12-08-2008, 1:06 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions, will look into them. More gratefully received. Thomas Newman was born in the C18th and was listed on his son's marriage record (John A Newman, m. 1840s) as a Portland stone mason. His has so far proven elusive in the censuses though. It's possible he had moved elsewhere or even passed away - haven't found out yet.

MarkJ
12-08-2008, 1:25 PM
Off topic, but I see you have your location written in Cornish ;)

Are you a Cornish speaker by any chance? There are not many of us about (and I am not that fluent!)

Oll an gwella,
Mark

billysax
12-08-2008, 7:27 PM
Sorry Limeywesty, your original post said C19th which is why I gave you Thomas Newman b 1839. Going back further via IGI, there is a Thomas Newman b 1766 Portland who had nine children, one of whom was John Newman b 1802 which is a possibility I would say. Another child was Thomas Newman b 1798. Some Portland baptismal records list the father's occupation, will have a look when I have time. Meantime, keep on looking. Best wishes, Billy.

Limeywesty
13-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi Billy, thanks for the help. I'm still only building up useful resources as I go. This may be the right family. John A Newman was born c.1803 in Portland.

Limeywesty
13-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi Mark, Had a few lessons, but not much good yet!

Tony
05-12-2008, 1:17 AM
Limeywesty - to close the loop, the Thomas, cabinetmaker, b1838, who removed to Tranmere (mentioned by Billysax) was the nephew of your John Ayles NEWMAN (b.1802), son of Thomas (b.1766). This Thomas (the one b.1766) is said to have been the first male child baptised at the then new St George's church at Reforne. In some local records Thomas is referred to as John for reasons unknown (other than to make later genealogy even more daunting, that is). His wife, Ann nee AYLES, was instrumental in establishing the new 'non-conformist' church in Portland (the building since demolished, I am told).
John Ayles NEWMAN was first married to Ann FUZZARD (batchelor/spinster) and later to Susan BRAY (both previously married).