PDA

View Full Version : "Our Billy worked at the Town Hall"

susanx123
10-08-2008, 3:46 PM
"Our Billy worked at the Town Hall" a quote from my grandad (Albert Charlesworth b 1918) when I first started researching my family tree. I never did get much information from him."We were just from Yorkshire and nowt special about us"
After my grandad died in 2004 I was given the family photos to look through and I found these

Below is Billy- I think it is grandad's brother although he also had a uncle Billy.
As my grandad was born in Wakefield and the photos were taken by G&J Hall Wakefield with writing on the back saying best wishes for Xmas 1935 " I'm assuming "Our Billy" was Mayor of Wakefield.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't researched into the Mayors of Wakefield.
but I chuckle at the indifference of my grandad. What does it take to impress a Yorkshire man? Play for Wakefield at Rugby or be a Yorkshire cricketer.
regards Michelle

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k397/susanx123/scan0001.jpg

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k397/susanx123/scan0003.jpg

Diane Grant-Salmon
10-08-2008, 3:53 PM
Hi Michelle ...... well, I'm impressed ..... one Yorksher lass born in Wakefield! :)

I must admit that I didn't know the names of the Mayors, when I was growing up |oopsredfa but they are fabulous photos and you are very lucky to have them.

susanx123
10-08-2008, 3:55 PM
P.S If any one thinks they are realated to "our Billy" i would be happy to either send a copy of the photos either by email or post

regards

Michelle

Neil Wilson
10-08-2008, 4:26 PM
Mayor of Wakefield in 1935 was ...... wait for it ..... Albert Charlesworth. :confused:
So I am confused with your grandad's story. See Wakefield FHS site (http://www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk/Mayors.htm) for full details

Peter Goodey
10-08-2008, 4:53 PM
Mayor of Wakefield in 1935 was ...... wait for it ..... Albert Charlesworth.

Sounds like an extreme example of modesty :)

susanx123
10-08-2008, 6:12 PM
It's not my grandad! :D
He was living in Bretford nr Coventry in 1935. His mother "sent him to Coventry" to earn his fortune in the car factories.

He did have an uncle Albert born 1876 which would make him 59 yrs old. Maybe it is him?

So much for trusting reatives stories!!

I think I need to investigate further.|banghead|

thanks for the link

Michelle

Neil Wilson
10-08-2008, 6:21 PM
It's not my grandad! :D
He was living in Bretford nr Coventry in 1935. His mother "sent him to Coventry" to earn his fortune in the car factories.

He did have an uncle Albert born 1876 which would make him 59 yrs old. Maybe it is him?

So much for trusting reatives stories!!

I think I need to investigate further.|banghead|

thanks for the link

MichelleNo problem Michelle, could be uncle Albert on the photo, age is about right I guess.

Terry Reeves
20-08-2008, 8:19 PM
Susan

The photographic style, in this case the mount- coupled with his apparent age- would suggest that the photograph is indeed Uncle Albert.

Terry Reeves (also from Coventry and whose maternal grandfather was sent there from
Manchester to earn his fortune in the car industry.)

Peter_uk_can
21-08-2008, 2:54 AM
Hi Susan. Perhaps write to Wakefield Council or Wakefield Archives or Wakefield Library, or better still all three.
Send off copies of those fantastic photographs and tell them the same as you told it here.

What you have is a living connection with history and I would be very suprised if you don't receive a positive response.

Ladkyis
21-08-2008, 10:15 AM
and perhaps "our Billy" was what he was called at home and Albert was his real name. Perhaps 'Billy' worked at the town hall and had got the job because Uncle Albert had been elected to the council.
Oh heck now I want to search to find out! I need to know!

As for Grandad's indifference well I don't think it's that. Children were brought up not to be boastful, it was not "nice" to show off about the successes of members of your family because while they worked others were on the breadline, so saying that Billy worked at the town hall was enough. It could also be a bit of sly humour. My dad, when asked what one of his medal was for said, "Oh that's my Dunkirk Harriers medal for doing the hundred yards dash".
It was years before my daughter realised that it was his Dunkirk medal from WW2

susanx123
21-08-2008, 7:22 PM
thank you for your tips and advice.

I have been in touch with the Wakefield Family history group who like yourselves suggested the Local Studies at Wakefield Libary.

I have emailed them and they are currently loking at their records and will get back to me.

I will let you know what they find.

thanks again

Michelle

Aislin
10-11-2008, 2:16 PM
What great photos and in such excellent condition. Some people would sell their Aunt Mabel to have pictures like those! You're very lucky.