PDA

View Full Version : re: scotland brennans/brannons/brannans

mrs.bee.5
10-08-2008, 7:43 AM
Hi all,
This is my first post here so here goes! The people in the family I am looking for is John BRANNON stonemason b. I think abt. 1777 Renfrewshire (checked Family Search and came up with this) m. Margaret MACDONALD in 1803. Their son John BRANNON was b. 1803 Renfrewshire and this is the man I am trying to figure out. Know he had a James who m. Jannett MCGEE in 1848 in Kilbirnie, Ayrshire and this is the line I have alot of info. about. He and his family came to Aust. in 1864 and there are afew rellies here that have given me info. On James' d. certf. his f. was John and his m. was Ann JAMIESON, but other info. leads me to believe there was another woman involved too, an Ann McNAMARA. My look-up is would anyone have records etc. for Scotland who may be able to find this group? I am still searching and have posted queries on other sites, thank you for any help! bee|biggrin|

Sue Mackay
19-10-2008, 8:23 PM
Hi Bee
I have moved your post to the Scotland forum as I think it has nore chance of being seen there by someone who can help. This should also nudge it into New Posts

Davran
19-10-2008, 8:41 PM
Hi Bee

I was away when you made your posting, so didn't catch up with it. Have you tried searching on ScotlandsPeople? It is pay-per-view, but it is the official website for the General Record Office of Scotland. I don't have any credits at the moment, so can't help out I'm afraid.

Another good forum is TalkingScot, which is geared more to Scottish research - not quite as mad as here, but also very friendly and helpful.

Lesley Robertson
19-10-2008, 8:47 PM
Hi Bee

I was away when you made your posting, so didn't catch up with it. Have you tried searching on ScotlandsPeople? It is pay-per-view, but it is the official website for the General Record Office of Scotland. I don't have any credits at the moment, so can't help out I'm afraid.

Another good forum is TalkingScot, which is geared more to Scottish research - not quite as mad as here, but also very friendly and helpful.

Oi! Stop encouraging Scots to leave, just when I'm trying to build up the scottish side! You should be telling the folk on TalkingScot that we're wonderfull!
|banghead|

;)
Lesley

Davran
19-10-2008, 9:09 PM
Oh, but I do! I spend far more time on here than I do on there. It's a lot more active on here, but they have a lot of info about things Scottish. :)

Lesley Robertson
19-10-2008, 9:17 PM
Hi all,
This is my first post here so here goes! The people in the family I am looking for is John BRANNON stonemason b. I think abt. 1777 Renfrewshire (checked Family Search and came up with this) m. Margaret MACDONALD in 1803. Their son John BRANNON was b. 1803 Renfrewshire and this is the man I am trying to figure out. Know he had a James who m. Jannett MCGEE in 1848 in Kilbirnie, Ayrshire and this is the line I have alot of info. about. He and his family came to Aust. in 1864 and there are afew rellies here that have given me info. On James' d. certf. his f. was John and his m. was Ann JAMIESON, but other info. leads me to believe there was another woman involved too, an Ann McNAMARA. My look-up is would anyone have records etc. for Scotland who may be able to find this group? I am still searching and have posted queries on other sites, thank you for any help! bee|biggrin|

I had a look at the entry for John B's birth in 1803 on the IGI, and I see that it's a Patron Submission, not an extracted record. Be careful with Patron Submissions - many of them are probably excellently researched but there's no way to tell them from the others based on guesses and wishful thinking.
It's easily possible that you're right about 2 Anns, if one died young and he grew up only knowing his father's second wife as his mother....

In your place, I would check the 1851 census for James and Janet. This will tell you where he was born. Also, see whether you can find John and an Ann in the 1841 and 1851. I've had a quick look on Scotlands People and there are 2 death certificates that might be interesting, assuming that John was born around 1803 - one died in 1857 and the other in 1891. The only death for an Ann McNamara - Brannan is in 1965, aged 61 in Paisley in 1965 (about 100 years too young!), and there's nothing for an Ann Jamieson - Brannan.

Lesley

mrs.bee.5
23-10-2008, 9:54 AM
Hello,
Thank you all for giving me advice, the more the better. It always makes you feel there is someone out there encouraging your search. The site is great and I'm sure to post more, especially if I find some info. maybe it will also help someone else. thanks, bee.