PDA

View Full Version : Ship Owners

genie60
09-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Hello

I have just found out that my ancestor was a ship owner. He had one registered in South Shields and one in Newcastle.
It looks as though he had a ship called Vansittart built in Prize. Rig is given as Barg - I think that might mean barge. He ran that as Ralph Hart and Company.
He also had one called Eleanor, Type - Brig built in Sunderland in 1824 Tonnage 188. Eleanor was registered in the port of Shields and Vansittart was registered in Newcastle.

Does anyone know any good websites that may provide more information?

Thanks

Genie60

Geoffers
09-08-2008, 11:24 AM
I have just found out that my ancestor was a ship owner. He had one registered in South Shields and one in Newcastle.
It looks as though he had a ship called Vansittart built in Prize. Rig is given as Barg - I think that might mean barge.

Are you sure that this isn't barq whch I have seen used an abbrevaiton for barque (also sometimes spelt bark).

Does anyone know any good websites that may provide more information?

The company may possibly be mentioned in the London Gazette. Other than that, try the National Maritime Museum in London - though they do not have information much information online. They may have photos in their historic photographs collecton which is catalogued online.

genie60
09-08-2008, 1:20 PM
Hello Geoffers,

It could be Barq - what was a Barque?

Thanks for the suggestion to look at the Maritime Museum, will do that this afternoon.

Thanks again

Genie60

Jan1954
09-08-2008, 1:23 PM
...what was a Barque?

Have a look at what Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barque) has to say - quite a bit!

genie60
10-08-2008, 9:39 AM
Hi Jan1954,

Thanks, that was a good tip.

Genie60