PDA

View Full Version : CAPTAIN in merchant navy HELP

louisemccrea
08-08-2008, 7:59 PM
Hi

I am still a beginner and dont know how to find out about my grandfather Denis deVall. I know he was born in birmingham and lived and married in glasgow for most of his life. I know he was a captain in the merchant navy for most of his life but i dont know how to find out anything of his life in the navy i have been told he worked for the east india shipping company. I also got told he got demobbed for something. I know he died in the hospital for ex servicemen in erskine but thats about it.
I hope someone can give me some help.

Thanks Louise

Geoffers
08-08-2008, 9:04 PM
'Tis a bit complicated - Put the kettle on and make a cuppa, then sit down and read through the relevant research guides on TNA's web-site, dealing with Merchant Seamen (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp#m)

Peter Goodey
08-08-2008, 9:27 PM
Before chasing this sort of thing I'd advise checking that you have all his BMD certificates, including the births of his children. These can provide valuable information about his occupation.

One contradiction you have to get to the bottom of is his death in a hospital for ex-members of the armed services.

louisemccrea
08-08-2008, 9:30 PM
Thanks for that i will have a look and see where i get

Barbara Tidy
09-08-2008, 11:22 AM
I am trying to trace any records census etc for a George Vincent Simpson who was a Captain in the Merchant Navy the only record I have is the 1881 census where he was living in Chatham, Kent with his wife Maria. If the children were born abroad how would I find the birth certificates?

Thanking you for any help.
Barbara

Geoffers
09-08-2008, 11:39 AM
I am trying to trace any records census etc for a George Vincent Simpson who was a Captain in the Merchant Navy the only record I have is the 1881 census where he was living in Chatham, Kent with his wife Maria. If the children were born abroad how would I find the birth certificates?

There may not be certificates, their births may not have been registered.

Try the indexeds to overseas births that are available - consular and marine births are available on findmypast.

Some foreign registers are available at The National Archvies, but coverage is variable.

Barbara Tidy
10-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Thank you for the reply I will try the sites you have sent me.

Much appreciated
Barbara