PDA

View Full Version : Plymouth Moorhaven Hospital

bude21
08-08-2008, 7:02 PM
I am trying to locate the death certificate of my great uncle who died at Moorhaven Hospital in Nov 1949. His death is not registered on the GRO indexes. Does anyone know if the death should have been registered with the GRO or due to it happening at the hospital it is kept inhouse as such. I need this certificate or additional information to verify that the person is the correct ancestor.

Also would hospital deaths mean they were buried at the hospital cemetery?.

Any info much appreciated.

Jan1954
08-08-2008, 7:08 PM
Hello Bude21 and welcome to the forum.

Would you post some details about your great uncle so that we can all have a look, please?

A death needs to be registered before a burial may take place. It may be miss-indexed or the name may have been miss-spelled.

Thanks,

Devonmade
08-08-2008, 8:35 PM
Moorhaven Hospital was not located in Plymouth but was nearer to Ivybridge which I believe fell within the registration district of Plympton in 1949.

Sue

Raaa
08-08-2008, 11:01 PM
hi im sure all deaths at moorhaven hospital are buried at the cemetary which is still there problem is the graves only have numbers but they have a list of names of people buried there at plymouth records office 01752-305940 my great grandmother is buried there it is in fact just past ivybridge a village called bittaford if u want anymore info feel free to ask the cemetary is near to where i live raa

Raaa
08-08-2008, 11:05 PM
im off to records office next week can do a look up for u if u wish raa

bude21
09-08-2008, 2:03 PM
Wow, everybody is so kind. My ancestor was Ernest Johns, born at Ash Mill, Bradworthy, Devon on 6th May 1893.
The Ernest Johns at Moorhaven was a voluntary patient admitted 24/3/1949. Departed 13/08/1949. Admitted again on 22/08/1949 and died at Moorhaven 19/11/1949.
He was listed in the 1901 census still at Ash Mill, Bradworthy, but the story ends there.

Thanks again for the help.

bude21
13-08-2008, 6:53 PM
Thank you for the help. The Plymouth Records Office were very helpful, but I think this Ernest Johns is not mine. The age at death was noted as 75years, making a birth date of around 1874.
I will now need to widen my search of County Asylums as I know that he was admitted somewhere.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Biogsearch
14-11-2009, 5:17 PM
You probably know this info by now but I've just spotted your request. Your uncles death, although it was in Moorhaven Hospital, it is nr Ivybridge and is likely to have been recorded at the Totnes registration district. These death records are now stored at the Exeter records office. If you phone this number 0845 155 1002 and explain you are looking for a 1949 death certificate you will be transferred and the certificate sent to you. As back up, the Plymouth central library also store registers of deaths just supplying basic info such as name, date of death, registration district and certificate code. As you have the first two details it shouldn't take long to find in the library.

I had the same problem, my grandmother died in Moorhaven hospital. I didn't even know the year of her death when we started to look. We searched through the records at Plymouth library, we found that she died there in 1958! Be interested to know how you've got on with your search.

bude21
22-01-2010, 4:22 PM
At long last I have finally traced my Ernest Johns to Moorhaven Hospital. The death certificate said he died in the hospital during April 1970.
Can anyone tell me if I will be able to obtain information concerning when he first went there and more importantly where he was finally buried.

Would Plymouth Record office help at all?. I see on their web page that they do not do research?.

Any help much appreciated.

Dave.

Peter Goodey
22-01-2010, 6:18 PM
where he was finally buried.

His family would have been responsible for the funeral arrangements and the hospital wouldn't be involved.

Only if there was no family would the hospital make the arrangements. I imagine that cremation would be more likely than burial.

You may find that you have more success approaching the Cemeteries Department of the appropriate local authority.

Biogsearch
23-01-2010, 2:59 PM
Hi Bude 21,

I've been continuing research of the life of my grandmother who spent the last years of her life a Moorhaven Hospital. Many patients who died whilst at Moorhaven were buried in the cemetery with-in the grounds of the hospital. The Plymouth and West Devon Records Office hold a corresponding list of names as the actual graves are marked only with numbers. I had contacted the office a few times by e-mail at first they replied that my relative was not buried there, but I was certain she was. On my second inquiry they indeed found her grave number. She did have family but was still buried there never-the-less. The records office e-mail is [email protected], mark for the attention of the city archivist. Good luck.

bude21
07-02-2010, 7:51 PM
I have at long last trace the burial of Ernest Johns to Moorhaven. Can anyone tell me whereabouts within the village the cemetery is. I have looked on Google Earth with no luck.

Raaa
08-02-2010, 6:16 AM
i live about 100 yards from moorhaven hospital the ground is flat u wouldnt know it was a graveyard my great grandmother is buried there it is verry sad as they just have numbers but you can get the number from south devon records office in plymouth i managed to find my great grandmothers grave but it wasnt easy sorry i wasnt so quick to reply my daughter has been in hospital for 9 months she has been moved to a hospital in london which takes up all the time i have feel free to contact me with any questions david

bude21
09-02-2010, 6:47 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am visiting family during 20th March and will take a trip out to the cemetery. I have the plot number and a copy of the burial map, but I would like to know where the cemetery is loctaed. Thanks. Dave.

Raaa
11-02-2010, 7:30 AM
if u look nfor bittaford on the map u will find wrangaton rd leading up to moorhaven i would be happy tio show you where it is david