PDA

View Full Version : Wary of this email

blue eyes
08-08-2008, 3:22 PM
I've received 2 emails from Pay Pal. The 1st saying that ISP............tried to change my account 3 times and they apologise for the inconvience but the saftey of my account is their main priority. There underneath is a padlock with to remove limitation log into my pay pal account. This I ignored.

Today received another email from Pay Pal though cant quite remember what it was about
because when I clicked on the link a warning sign came up with suspicous web page please leave or something like that.

Has anyone come up with this problem.

Peter_uk_can
08-08-2008, 3:29 PM
Nope........ but then I never open any e-mails from Pay-Pal - E-Bay or Banks.

If there really is a problem, they can telephone or snail-mail.

For me, e-mail is not a recognised form of communication for anything really important,

Neil Wilson
08-08-2008, 3:30 PM
Spam claiming to be from Pay Pal is nearly as worst then spam from the major UK banks. Unless you are expecting an email from Pay Pal regarding a purchase, treat it as spam. Using an old email to check on the Pay Pal header/address is also wise.
If in doubt, you can always select the properties of an email to view source in the headers, check the return address and also view the message before you open it.

blue eyes
08-08-2008, 3:37 PM
Thanks for your replies. Will get in touch with Pay Pal and report this.

Thanks again.

suedent
08-08-2008, 3:47 PM
Thanks for your replies. Will get in touch with Pay Pal and report this.

Thanks again.

Paypal has an email address spoof (At) paypal.com to report any spoof mails

There is also an excellent website millersmiles which has all of the current spoof mails purportedly from banks, paypal, etc, as reported to them.

On the whole it's best to just go to your Paypal account by typing the address into your browser, never ever click on any links in an email. If there are indeed any issues with your account there will be an alert showing when you log in.

blue eyes
08-08-2008, 4:16 PM
I've found their site. Why I was sent the email as I havnt got a Pal Pal account well I've never signed up for one.

Mary Anne
08-08-2008, 4:55 PM
You were sent the email by someone who is NOT PayPal and who does mass mailings (usually using a robot), hoping you will answer so they can verify that they actually caught a *live* email address. Nothing to do with PayPal at all.

As everyone here so far has suggested, NEVER respond to this type of email, just delete it, and NEVER click on a link in one of them. IF you DO have an account at the bank or other organization mentioned in the email, then go to THEIR legitimate website from your Internet browser (NOT from the email), and verify that all is correct with your account.

These people are *phishing*, hoping to catch a *live one*. Don't get on their hook!!

blue eyes
08-08-2008, 5:22 PM
Reported it through Auction Helpline in the end. They deal with Paypal. I havnt got an account with Paypal any transactions via them is a paper account.

v.wells
08-08-2008, 9:47 PM
Julie
I only used Paypal once and closed the accounrt as soon as the money was in the other person's acct. Paypal is notoriously unsecure. After I closed the account, I received an email regarding the account's activity. Since It was closed I DID NOT open the email from the sender.

I have never heard from them since. 192.com takes payment thru Paypal but not from overseas credit cards, everytime I go to phone them to buy credits they are never open . Therefore I haven't a 192com sub which I would like to have as I think it might be usefu,l more so, than 118com.

Ladkyis
09-08-2008, 9:15 AM
I have never had a problem with paypal but I have received lots of emails that say they are from paypal.

Any real email about your account will start with your name - the name the account is in. All the false emails just say paypal member or paypal customer.
If you don't have a paypal account then the email is false and should be forwarded to spoof@paypal.com.

As has already been said NEVER click on a link if you didn't ask for the email. It is good to see that your virus protection also warned you and it must be reassuring to know that it works