PDA

View Full Version : Bargees/ people who worked on the waterways

Debbie66
07-08-2008, 3:36 PM
Hi all,
I have just signed up to this site. I am looking for info on my Gt Grandfather and possibly his father who is known to have worked as bargees around 1880-1900's haven't really alot of info about them. surname is YATES but sadly haven't any christian names as yet.
If anyone can let me know where to go for help in searching these occupations I would be grateful.
Thankyou
debbie

pipsqueak
07-08-2008, 4:22 PM
Welcome!

Try looking up YATES in the 1881 or 1891 census using the keyword "Vessels".

sandiep
07-08-2008, 7:14 PM
http://www.thamesbarge.org.uk/barges/mosaic.html

this site may help sandie

Alan Welsford
11-09-2008, 7:35 PM
Hi all,
I have just signed up to this site. I am looking for info on my Gt Grandfather and possibly his father who is known to have worked as bargees around 1880-1900's haven't really alot of info about them. surname is YATES but sadly haven't any christian names as yet.

Do you know where, (even roughly).

And do you mean "bargee", I wonder.

Technically a bargee works on a barge, which is a relatively wide boat on rivers, or some of the bigger canals.

But most of the canal system would not support a "barge", as the locks were, (and still are) only 7 feet wide. The boats used on these are not barges, but narrow boats, or sometimes long boats.

If your ancestors crewed these, they will likely be enumerated as "boatman", or "waterman", but "barge" will not appear.

I don't think any of these would be found in the "vessels" returns, but a keyword search for "boatman" or "waterman" might strike lucky.

Because of the nature of their trade, censuses are more likely to have missed them, than to have captured them, though.

Alan.