PDA

View Full Version : Munroe/McKay

sixmilelakes
07-08-2008, 1:05 PM
I am researching JohnMUNROE who married Annie MCKAY and may have lived in Sutherlandshire, They had 3 children,Catherine b.1824 who emigrated to Nova Scotia and married George Alexander Sutherland. Hannah to canada and married John Reid died in Boston Ma. Elizabeth,also canada and married Tom Mason.
I believe all were born in Sutherlandshire, Any assistance would be appreciated

ChristineR
08-08-2008, 11:47 AM
Do you have any census entries that give an actual birthplace for any of them within Sutherland?
:)

sixmilelakes
09-08-2008, 4:19 PM
Unfortunately I have only the mention of Catherine born in Sutherlandshire. No other documentation available that I could find in Canada...Len

Lesley Robertson
09-09-2008, 11:47 AM
I am researching JohnMUNROE who married Annie MCKAY and may have lived in Sutherlandshire, They had 3 children,Catherine b.1824 who emigrated to Nova Scotia and married George Alexander Sutherland. Hannah to canada and married John Reid died in Boston Ma. Elizabeth,also canada and married Tom Mason.
I believe all were born in Sutherlandshire, Any assistance would be appreciated

Where have you looked?
The section of the IGI which has records extracted for the Church of Scotland parish registers shows John Munro and Annie as having a large family, mostly born in Rogart, Sutherland (I'll only specify on the list if it's not Rogart).

William 30 Jun 1828
Jannet 25 Aug 1818 Farr, Sutherland
Alexander 30 Jan 1808 Farr
Johanna 12 Nov 1840
Mary 25 Dec 1811 Farr
Catherine 26 Oct 1824
Isabella 29 Dec 1833
Mary 18 Mar 1823
Chirsty 26 Jan 1814 (bap) Farr
Elizabeth 28 Dec 1831
Ann 30 Apr 1830

Looking at the dates, I suspect that the people in Farr are a separate family. These are not rare names!
Ann, Annie and Hannah can all be the same name.

In your place, I would go to Scotlands People and check the census for Rogart in 1841 and 1851. I would also download the full baptismal entry for at least one of these children to see if there's more information. Not that I've given you birthdates here, you can find the baptism dates in the IGI.

Most of the entries I found show John's name as Munro, but it might be worth trying Munro and Munroe with the SP search engine.

Lesley

Inez Reed
20-09-2008, 3:09 PM
Dear Folks - Have you looked at any of the early records for Wallace, Cumberland County, Nova Scotia? I've been assembling miscellaneous obituaries from NB/NS of individuals who came from Sutherland, Scotland. I have one obituary that may be of interest (or not):

Date January 23 1886
County Saint John
Place Saint John
Newspaper The Daily Telegraph

d. Wallace, N.S., 17th inst., of apoplexy, Donald McKAY, 75th year, native of Parish of Rogart, Sutherlandshire, Scotland.

I mention this because Wallace, Nova Scotia has some online material that recorded valuations of families within the township including: Sutherland, McKay and various Reed (various spellings). The Donald, in the obituary, is found in the 1881 Cumberland County, Census. You may wish to have a look see there.

I believe that there is a John (Tea Commission Agent)and Hannah Reed in the 1880 Census in Massachusetts that may compare favourably to your family. Several children between the age of 9 and 1 years old.

Best wishes and happy hunting,

Inez