PDA

View Full Version : New Posts

Diane Grant-Salmon
06-08-2008, 5:15 PM
Is it just me, who keeps losing *my place* or is it happening to anybody else?

To explain ....... upon arrival here, I always click on New Posts, then I click on a thread of interest to me. Previously (until this morning when I checked in) after I had read the messages in that particular thread, when I clicked my Back button ...... the thread I had just read, was *marked* somehow, so I knew where I was up to on the list of New Posts.

This morning, I got lost!;)

There were a few posts from Newbies on the same page and I got muddled as to which one of them I'd just read. My excuse is, that I'm a bit zombie like at 6.00a.m. |snore| and so I had to concentrate really hard to remember where I was on the page.

Oh to be young and as bright as a button in the early hours of the morning! :D

busyglen
06-08-2008, 5:21 PM
Hi Diane,

I was on this morning and I do the same as you, but I didn't seem to have any problems.
There has been a change, see `Upgrades' post, which may explain why things have been a bit weird today.

I think it's sorted itself out now.

Glenys

AnnB
06-08-2008, 5:26 PM
Oh to be young and as bright as a button in the early hours of the morning! :D

......or any time of the day, come to that!

I do the same as you Diane, but haven't had any problems today. As Glen says, the upgrade might have made things go a bit awry - it couldn't be anything you did ;)

Ann

Diane Grant-Salmon
06-08-2008, 5:32 PM
Hi Both :)

It must be just me then ...... boohoo! I've still lost my marker.

I read everything of interest on New Posts Page1 of 3 (to me) then broke off to post my message. After doing so, I clicked New Posts again and read this lot, but when I clicked the back button ....... no marker on this thread. |sad1|

I shall have to start again, looking at the list of the New Posts (unread by me) and make a mental note of the title, so that I can find my place.

Diane Grant-Salmon
06-08-2008, 5:40 PM
I have just read Famous Family Sayings, then I clicked my back button, to find no *marker* which I have always had before. The thread is still showing as deep blue, so the only way I can now *mark* my place, is to click on New Posts after reading each message ...... then it's pale blue.

Diane Grant-Salmon
06-08-2008, 5:42 PM
Oh crumbs ....... I can't be bothered doing the above, as then I've got to remember which page I'm on (page 2).

I give up!

busyglen
06-08-2008, 5:57 PM
Oh crumbs ....... I can't be bothered doing the above, as then I've got to remember which page I'm on (page 2).

I give up!

Aah! I see what you are saying now.....doh! I usually hit `new posts' and start at the last page (that way if I don't get to finish them the newer ones are usually still there). As I work my way through them, like you, the ones I read go pale. If I subsequently reply to a post, when I finish I hit the back button to return to where I left off. If I sign off (I don't log out) and then go straight back in, I can usually catch up where I left off, unless of course it's several hours later when the old pages have been cleared.

I have on occasions had to leave before I've finished reading the posts, and so I `do' lose them. I just try to make a quick note of the ones that I want to look at when I have time.

Don't cry Diane....it's not worth it....just smile and say `what the h**l. :D

Glenys

peter nicholl
06-08-2008, 6:06 PM
Hi Diane
I don't always log in and when I don't, I have the same problem. However, when I do, I don't :confused:
Peter
PS As you seem to be on line, try it now.
Peter

Diane Grant-Salmon
07-08-2008, 9:48 AM
Hi Glenys :)

Usually, I'm in a rush when I check in here, as I don't have as much spare time now as I used to. Particularly of late, as the forum is so big now, with lots of new members and New Posts everytime!

I have always started on Page 1 of New Posts and thanks to my *now missing marker* I had no trouble trawling through the long list of message threads. When I clicked on and read a thread of interest, clicking my back button, resulted in the thread I had just read being *marked* with 'funny little dots' surrounding it. It was still in the deep blue colour, not pale blue ....... so I knew exactly where I was up to on the relevant page.

After reading all threads of interest to me, only then did I click New Posts again ...... then the threads I had viewed were in pale blue, any new posts submitted whilst I was reading, then showed up in dark blue at the top of page 1.

If I have enough time to answer a message, I usually open a new window to do it, but if I forget to do that, then like you, I use the back button.

To save time on the forum, I also type a reply in Notepad to messages which turn up in my inbox, (as with this one!) then paste the reply on my next visit!

busyglen
07-08-2008, 9:55 AM
Hi Glenys :)

To save time on the forum, I also type a reply in Notepad to messages which turn up in my inbox, (as with this one!) then paste the reply on my next visit!

Now that's a good idea....why didn't I think of that? I'm not that clever, that's why! :o

Glenys

Diane Grant-Salmon
07-08-2008, 9:59 AM
Hi Peter,

Thanks for trying to help. :) I pasted my message to Glenys, after reading your message, then I clicked on New Posts again. There was a new message on between my two postings this morning, so I read the latest message about giving birth at 51.

Still no 'dotted marker' after clicking the back button though, so now I have to make a mental note of the title of each thread I read.

I never log out of this site ...... I just exit by clicking on a new site.

Diane Grant-Salmon
07-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Hi again Glenys :)

I didn't manage to get here at 6.00a.m. this morning, which is one of my usual times ....... only just managing now, so that's why I did it. Also my message to Pam re the Gardener surname. ;)

busyglen
07-08-2008, 10:06 AM
After a terrible night of thunderstorms, it was a struggle for me to wake at 7.0am let alone 6.0am!

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Glenys

Diane Grant-Salmon
07-08-2008, 10:12 AM
:D

Sloping off to do some gardening (first love!)

Sandra Parker
07-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Having eventually learnt through that wonderful teacher Experience, I open the new posts and then open any items of interest in a new tab. that way, I can keep the new posts page/s and close each item as I read it, or answer it if I think I may be able to add anything and the new posts page stays there waiting for me.
(Well that's the theory and it has worked so far)
Sandra ;);)

Diane Grant-Salmon
07-08-2008, 3:49 PM
Hi Sandra :) ........ pinching Glenys's message here:

Now that's a good idea....why didn't I think of that? I'm not that clever, that's why! :o
Glenys

Once dunce is very, very grateful to you. |bowdown| as you have saved me having to concentrate, in the early hours of the morning!

Your message turned up in my inbox, so when I came here and clicked on New Posts, I took your advice and read the threads in a new window. Then, after deleting the new window, the original page of New Posts had my *missing marker* on it! :D

The only difference being, that the little dots are only around the blue tick now, not around the whole title as they were before for me. That's great though, as I have not lost my place at all this afternoon. Good job I wear reading specs though, not as many little dots in a small area. ;)