PDA

View Full Version : William Caudle - Long Crendon

jestormont
04-08-2008, 12:54 PM
William Caudle born 1794 in Long Crendon was my 3* great grandfather , he married an Elizabeth , probably around 1820 ish. I have been unable to find details of Elizabeth and would appreciate help from anyone that might have or be able to find this info for me. Regards John

busyglen
04-08-2008, 1:10 PM
William Caudle born 1794 in Long Crendon was my 3* great grandfather , he married an Elizabeth , probably around 1820 ish. I have been unable to find details of Elizabeth and would appreciate help from anyone that might have or be able to find this info for me. Regards John

Hi

I don't know if we are looking at the same person as the wife's name isn't Elizabeth, but I will give you the details anyway.

From the IGI search:

William Cadle (not spelt the same)
Birth: Feb 1794 Long Crendon, Bucks.
Christening: 12 Feb. 1794 Long Crendon
Death: 1873 Long Crendon
Burial 13 Dec 1873, Long Crendon
Marriage: 18 Oct. 1813, Long Crendon Bucks.
Spouse: Sarah Smith

As these details have been submitted by a member of the LDS, it's possible that some of the info could be wrong.

Glenys

jestormont
05-08-2008, 6:28 AM
Thanks for the reply Glenys . The IGI has misled me in the past on many occasions. From census returns online I am able to establish that his spouse was Elizabeth , they both appear in the 1841,1851,1861 & 1871. In the 1881 he is shown as a widower now living with his widowed daughter Ann Becket in Alcester, Studley, Warwickshire. Really what I am after is confirmation from Long Crendon Bucks. parish register for marriage and both births.
Thanks again for your reply.

Findem
23-11-2010, 12:24 AM
Hi Jestormont,

Although this post has been dormant since 2008 I thought I would respond.

Had a look in transcripts (1538 to 1901) and the only William Caudle baptised around 1794 shown in the Long Crendon transcripts was William Caudel baptised 2 May 1800 the son of William and Mary Caudel.

Only three William Caudle marriages found:
1839 William Caudle & Harriet Syms.
1838 William Cadle & Ann Kirby.
1866 William Cadle & Emma Brown, widow, nee Johnstone, William was a Widower.

I searched for William using the name variants Cadel, Cadell, Cadle, Cadoal, Cadul, Caudel, Caudell, Caudle & Cawdle.

Also had a look for anything resembling a William Caudle marriage around 1802, the closest was 18 Oct 1813 William Cardwell married Sarah Smith (both otp) by banns, there were no marriages shown between 1793 and 1822 for anyone with the surname Caudle or variants

Regards.

stepives
15-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi.

As the family appear to be in BRILL District in 1841. Maybe a look in Brill PR's for answers, which I believe is in Buckinghamshire.

As Long Crendon is very close to the Oxfordshire border, I have looked in the OxFHS - Oxon Marriage Index, but no luck, sorry.

I'll check a few more districts close to Long Crendon, to see what I can find.

Steve.|cheers|

stepives
17-07-2011, 3:35 PM
Hi Jester.

Marriage - 3 Dec 1765. by Banns
Wm(x)CORDWELL otp
Mary(x)GOODALE otp
Witnesses - William Crook Tho Cox

Baptism - 2 May 1800 Long Crendon - William son of William & Mary CAUDEL.

================================================== ============

Marriage - 25 Mar 1822. by Banns.
William (x) CORDWELL otp
Elizabeth (x) PARSONS otp
Witnesses - Thomas Caudle & Rebecca(x)Eyres.

Baptism - 10 Aug 1796. Eliz(abeth) daughter of Henry & Mary PASONS

Baptism - 13 Jun 1824. Ann daughter of William & Elizabeth CAUDLE of Crendon, Labourer

Baptism - 6 Mar 1831. Sarah daughter of William & Elizabeth CAUDLE of Crendon, Labourer.

================================================== ============================
Marriage - Long Crendon. 11 Apr 1852. by Banns
Richard SHRIMPTON, aged 23, Bachelor of Long Crendon, Occ. Mason. son of Richard Shrimpton. Occ. Needlemaker
Sarah X CAUDLE, aged 21, Spinster of Long Crendon, Lacemaker daughter of William Caudle, Labourer
Witnesses Levi(x)Ing & Mary Ann(x)Ing

================================================== ===========================

Baptism - 7 Jun-1829 Levi - son of Thomas & Sarah ING of Long Crendon, Labourer.

Marriage 19 May 1853 by Banns
Levi(x)ING, aged 25, Bachelor of Long Crendon, Labourer son of Thomas Ing, Labourer
Ann OLIVER, aged 26, Spinster of Newington, Oxon, Servant daughter of Joseph Oliver, Labourer
Witnesses - Thomas Ing & Mary Tipping

I think that's sorted them out.:smile5:

Steve.:cheers2:

From BucksFHS - Long Crendon PR Transcripts Disc.