PDA

View Full Version : Searching for details on my grandmother Ethel Brown

Toni F
04-08-2008, 6:20 AM
Hi I am researching my family tree and have come to a stop with my grandmother Ethel Annie Brown. It is understood that she was born in Northumberland on 26 November 1888 to George and Clarissa Annie Brown. I was wondering if there was anyone who could look this up for me. I am having difficulty trying to locate anything about her. They emigrated to New Zealand, not sure which year.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated. |help|

Toni

ChristineR
05-08-2008, 1:09 AM
FreeBMD has this lass
Births Sep 1886
Brown Ethel Annie Glendale 10b 433

However, this Ethel was born at Ford, Northumberland and her parents are James and Margaret according to the 1891 census. James is a 37 year old stonemason born locally, his wife aged 35 from Scotland.

I think your family had already left as I cannot find them anywhere in England in 1891.

There are quite a few birth entries for Ethel Brown in FreeBMD, mostly in the Newcastle upon Tyne area. She is possibly one of those. Do you have an area where Ethel was born?

Is it reliable information that she was born in England and not New Zealand? I have had one of mine declared to be born in England on her death certificate when she was born in Australia. Her parents had married in Australia. Just a thought.

:)

Toni F
05-08-2008, 9:52 AM
Have been told by relations that this is where she was born, so am pressuming that it is correct, but I will endeavour to find out more information. Thank you for what you found though.

pejay
05-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Hi - I too cannot find any births for those dates that are even remotely suitable, and same with the 1891 census, however if you click on ancestry.co.uk and type in what you know about Ethel Annie there are two family trees that you may be able to access. I am sure both of these trees are of the people you are looking for they are - the Hina family tree & the Ferris family tree. I think you may have to subscribe though, |wave|

hilly2008uk
06-08-2008, 11:51 PM
hi,is this any help?

Name: Ethel Annie Brown
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1887
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: James
Mother's Name: Margaret
Where born: Ford, Northumberland, England

Civil Parish: Ford
Ecclesiastical parish: Ford
Town: Ford
County/Island: Northumberland

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Glendale
Sub registration district: Ford
ED, institution, or vessel: 8
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Alfred Wm Brown 10
Charles Brown 4
Ethel Annie Brown 4
James Brown 37
James Brown 13
Margaret Brown 35
Mary Fleming Brown 12
Robert Patterson Brown 8

i will keep looking if you can help with anymore info,please do.andy

hilly2008uk
07-08-2008, 12:07 AM
here's wat i found in bmd index:

Births Sep 1886
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brown Ethel Annie Glendale 10b 433

it says glendale is in northunberland?
hope this helps?

theres also a marriage for ethel annie brown:

Marriages Sep 1908 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BROWN Ethel Annie Tynemouth 10b 397
FAY Elizabeth Maud Tynemouth 10b 397
HOLLIDAY Samuel Howland Tynemouth 10b 397
TURNER Albert Tynemouth 10b 397

andy

Toni F
07-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Thanks Andy for what you have found. The year that I have posted may be out by 1 or 2 years. I got this information from another relative who was unable to tell me of the source where they got the information from. They also gave me the information of her being born in England, I shall do some more research and see if I can find out more about where she was born etc, but thank you to everyone who has offered to help.