PDA

View Full Version : Locative Surnames in London? Ever proven it though?

benny1982
03-08-2008, 6:57 PM
Hi

As I have London ancestors, I have many that were living in London in the 1700s. Half of them migrated to London in 1864 (one was Kent born but was a Londoner by descent)but on other lines, they stretch right back to Westminster and the East End. I have been lucky with one locative surname line in London, the Helsdon family who I have traced back to Norfolk. They arrived in Bethnal Green, London in about 1780. The man was Dennis Helsdon who wed in Stepney in 1784. The only baptism on IGI was for a Dennis Helsdon in 1756 in Norwich. I have proven he is the one through siblings also born in Norwich but lived in London.

One name I am having trouble with is the Coombs of Westminster. My 4xgreat grandfather was George Coombs born in Westminster in about 1790. Family members and books say that Coombs is a Dorset/Somerset name. I would love to prove that connection. Looking through marriages on the IGI there was only a select few Coombs (with name variants)in West London but then number shot up after c1780-1790. I assume that maybe George's father may have originated from the West Country and moved to London in about 1780, during the Industrial Revolution. I am trying to prove that.

I reckon the Coombs came to London around the same time as the Helsdons.

I think some of my London rellies came to London during the Industrial Revolution of around 1780. Have any of you ever managed to find locative surnames in the captial before censuses etc and are trying to prove when they arrived in London??

Ben